• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can you sell powder private party legally?

The crazy part about that whole "HazMat" thing is that you can ship a loaded cartridge, that has primers and powder in a much more dangerous form-factor without a "HazMat" permit ... but you can't ship primers or powder without it. Just seems weird to me ... Whatever!

The crazy part about that whole "HazMat" thing is that you can ship a loaded cartridge, that has primers and powder in a much more dangerous form-factor without a "HazMat" permit ... but you can't ship primers or powder without it. Just seems weird to me ... Whatever!
Nope, so long as ammo isnt in a chamber its not very wild

Yes, that does seem weird / wrong but a calculated guess from experience would be that the government official / bureaucrat that put this legislation in place wasn't a gun person.

This happens in all walks of life but it seems that when a non gun person makes rules for firearm related products it gets particulary ridiculous.

Reactions: rustyinbend
Yes, that does seem weird / wrong but a calculated guess from experience would be that the government official / bureaucrat that put this legislation in place wasn't a gun person.

This happens in all walks of life but it seems that when a non gun person makes rules for firearm related products it gets particulary ridiculous.
Primers explode and then chain together even worse when they get squished, thats bad. Powder burns really fast and spreads wildly, thats bad.

Ammo just sort of sits there in its nice little external element resistant containers.

Its just common sense safety.

I have wondered how hard it is to get the hazmat certification to ship. Looked like a $100 online class, and registering a business with UPS to ship it?

don't worry, rusty trombone is still smokin the pedo Joe pole and ole Ruben is barely smart enough to log in.

@CoryT - thanks for setting the record straight on actual science. Cause, ya know, it matters.

Similar question on the CMP forums about primers....man we are so screwed with this mother may I mentality.

Monday I will be walking a section of the Battle Road the colonists sent the British troops running back to Boston on.

Thos dudes would have thrown their shit down and gave up had they known..........

Shipping issues as stated. Some (most) states regulate shipping powder. Not to mention shipping to states that are now getting into the business of requiring ffl handle the item before the purchaser gets it. (Butt out) However, a lot of folks don't consider what the liability is if you ship it to someone and there is a shipping incident. I saw a guy get flailed by the feds when a box of primers (1000) and powder (4 lbs) opened up during shipment. No hazmat papers or declarations on content of box. (real bad and costly). Thank goodness no one got hurt. They could have fined this guy $10,000per item. 1000 + 4 . You do the math. He walked away $50,000 poorer. Would have been much worse if someone had been hurt. THINK.

Last edited:
Shipping issues as stated. Some (most) states regulate shipping powder. Not mention shipping to states that are now getting into the business of requiring ffl handle the item before the purchaser gets it. (Butt out) However, a lot of folks don't consider what the liability is if you ship it to someone and there is a shipping incident. I saw a guy get flailed by the feds when a box of primers (1000) and powder (4 lbs) opened up during shipment. No hazmat papers or declarations on content of box. (real bad and costly). Thank goodness no one got hurt. They could have fined this guy $10,000per item. 1000 + 4 . You do the math. He walked away $50,000 poorer. Would have been much worse if someone had been hurt. THINK.

Thats pretty much the going rate for a box of primers and 4lbs of powder these days anyways.

As the saying goes, " Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission ". Lol...