• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can You Spraypaint Stainless Steel?

Krav69

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2007
A buddy of mine just purchased a rifle with a stainless steel barrel, and for whatever reason, he doesn't like it. I'm not a big fan of stainless, either, but short of getting a new machine, can he spraypaint it?

Will stainless even take spraypaint?

Re: Can You Spraypaint Stainless Steel?

Yes you can spray paint it but it wont hold up very well. I would try a duracoat from brownells or have someone cerakote it. I like cerakote the best as it is tough and looks good.

Yes you can. I would however recommend doing some surface prep before painting it. Sandblasting would be ideal and combine that with Cerakote and you'll have a very strong finish that will last for years.

Micah

Probably best to bead/sand blast it. Stop and see if he likes it then, if not its prepped for a protective finish.

Cerakote is through way to go , blast it the go with whatever color he want i tan and browns for barreled actions

Wipe it down with acetone and spray it with Krylon. The key is letting it sit for a few days so the paint can really set. Ends up durable enough for range days and walking around in the woods.

If you're going to bang the rifle off trees and drag it across rocks that's a different story.

That being said KG GunKote or Duracoat is a definite step up. Cerakote being top tier.

Use a self-etch primer under the paint. You can get a decent aerosol etch primer at most auto-parts stores.

The 'beading' is fine and will put some tooth on the barrel for paint to adhere to, but can also leave a very rough finish. And remember, glass bead gets everywhere, so mask the action and block the bore very very well. Duct tape works well for this because the plastic side bounces the bead pretty well and won't rip off.

Even after beading, you will still need some kind of a primer.

Degrease the barrel well. I would use lacquer thinner. Keep at it until the cloth comes back spotless.

There are also some professional metal prep solutions that will etch. But they are very expensive. Your friendly local body shop will have some and maybe they will share. You need just a film-canister full. You don't 'need' this with a good self-etch. But it doesn't hurt. Spray primer in one or two THIN coats.

Then use paint that is compatible with your primer. Krylon makes some good camo paints. But depending on which etch primer you use, you might test a panel first. It's a pain when the new paint lifts the primer the moment you spray it on.

If he doesn't like the result, it will all come off with lacquer thinner in a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I often wonder what some gunsmiths think when we use some good ol' rattlepaint to break up the weapons out line. Some must just be in tears haha.

On a more productive note make sure you start with a light base then work your way up the scale of colors your going to use. In my experience camoflauge patterns typically blow too many hard lines. Its better to mist going from varied amount of paints in spots to break the lines up. But thats just from my experience.

And if you don't like it and want to strip it off make sure you use good quality thinner or you'll be there all day with a scotch pad. Tryin to take a desert colored m40 back to black to repaint for a tropical enviroment can take all day with sub par paint thinners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wipe it down with acetone and spray it with Krylon. The key is letting it sit for a few days so the paint can really set. Ends up durable enough for range days and walking around in the woods.

If you're going to bang the rifle off trees and drag it across rocks that's a different story.

That being said KG GunKote or Duracoat is a definite step up. Cerakote being top tier. </div></div>

I have used Krylon and Alumahyde II. Even AHII is a big step up from Krylon, IMO.