• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can you trickle to an acculab vic123?

Re: Can you trickle to an acculab vic123?

Depends on the size of the granule, but basically yes it will. Most granules are enough to make it register the .02 grain change.

Careful, it's an ugly cycle, I found myself reaching into the pan to pluck out a single granule of powder.....like my shooting knows the difference.

I sold my scale (something similar to the Acculab) and now run 2 Chargemasters, my time was worth more than 1 granule of accuracy.

Yes. But it has to be set to the right mode. I had and Acculab VIC123 that I trickled up to weight on and it will detect a single kernel of powder (Varget) but I sold it so I can't remember what the settings were. To configure mine, I called AccuLab's customer support and told them I needed my VIC123 set up correctly for weighing out powder charges and they told me what mode settings to use.

Yes, it will detect an extruded kernel of powder. Most extruded kernels weight about .017 to .03 grains. 1 kernel of H4350 weighs just over .02 grains, so it will register each kernel. Some of the IMR powders have longer and heavier kernels. R15 is a small kernel, and may get within 2, depending on the actual weight.

Its got to be faster than a beam. Thats what I'm using right now. I figure I can trickle to a digital faster than a beam.

I've heard the chargemasters are slow, and definately not as accurate.

Chargemasters are accurate within .1 grains, get the right load and your rifle will never know the difference.

There are ways to speed them up and remember, they may be slow but they trickle the powder for you, so you can be seating the bullet in the previous case while it's measuring/trickling the next one for you.

I had an original Chargemaster combo and sold it because it was slow and was not very accurate.
The VIC-123 does as the others have stated.....I find Varget to be close to .03 grains and each kernal registers a change.

When I want speed, I throw charges.
When I want exact weight, I use the VIC-123.

Yes, it is much faster than a beam scale. I used to use a thrower for a while, but it throws too high and low charges, so you may be trickling a lot more. For example, if I needed 42 grains of powder, I'd set it up to throw about 41.6 grains. The thrower would often get me within .3 grains higher or lower, and trickle the rest. But I would end up trickling a lot more, and it would slow me down.
Now, I let the chargemaster throw a charge .1 or .2 grains under my desired weight, pour that charge into a pan on the Acculab, and trickle. This is pretty fast.

I might move up to that method of throwing charges using the chargemaster after I get the acculab running the way I want it.
smile.gif

Now, where's the best/cheapest/fastest place to get an acculab vic 123?

One must not confuse Accuracy with Resolution.

The Chargemaster's Resolution is 0.1 grain, correct? This means that at best(and this is a stretch), it is Accurate to +/- 0.1 (look at RCBS' specs.) Their advertised Accuracy "window" is 0.2 grains.

In order to have a statistically meaningful Accuracy, your Resolution should be one order of magnitude finer.

Now, if we introduce Reliability and Repeatability into the mix, things get more complicated.

To answer your question, yes, you can trickle on a VIC-123.

My Denver Instrument sure does! It is grain sensitive and you can very to three levels sensitivity. Plus, it is less expensive than the Acculab scale.

Denver Instrument has been making Laboratory grade scale for years.

Denver Instruments MXX-123

Great Scale.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now, where's the best/cheapest/fastest place to get an acculab vic 123?
</div></div>

I was never faster on mine than with a beam so I gave up and went back to my beam scale.

Oh, I trickled into mine by setting a vibratory tumbler with a long discharge tube.

My experiences: using a conventional trickler w/ an Acculab VIC123 didn't work very well as most have too short of a tube to reach out over the scale pan. An industrious individual could rig something up, though...

I got a Vibrashine trickler, which while very cool - you can get single kernels hopping down the clear tube, which is long enough to reach - if set up on a box/block, but the vibration that close to the scale drove it batty. To add insult to injury, I think the slowly changing trickle confuses the scale into thinking that the zero is drifting, then it starts trying to compensate - then it really *does* go nutty on ya.

For me, the simplest 'trickler' that worked consisted of a plastic picnic spoon and a spare pan w/ 2-3 cases of powder in it. Throw/dispense the charge, see how far low it is - say .12gr - scoop up 5-6 kernels of Varget w/ your spoon, and dump them on the scale pan all at once, and let it settle again. Odds are you'll be w/i +/- 1 kernel. Dump the charge down the funnel and carry on. Sometimes it works a little better if you lift the pan, toss the 'extra' in and set the pan back down. If you over threw or over trickled, definitely lift the pan up off the platen rather than go rooting around in it while still on the scale.

I used to have a pretty good 'feel' for how much powder to add or remove - used to just pinch and roll the kernels between thumb and fore-finger to get the right amount in there. Worked pretty good, too. Got too many dirty looks from a friend, so I amended my heretical ways and started using a spoon. Even licked it clean first
wink.gif

I also used that Vibrashine trickler. Maybe that was the problem I was having and why it would take too long.

That is exactly the problem I'm having with the My Weigh Gem Pro right now. When I try to trickle, the zero drifts because it thinks the added bits of weight are noise.

So you are telling me the acculab does this too?!?!?

I still use my fingers to trickle.....after licking them clean as Monte pointed out.
laugh.gif

I throw a charge with my Redding measure, drop it on the scale, and dip and trickle with my fingers.

To trickle onto the Accu-lab, I use an RCBS powder trickler. I set it on a small piece of 2x4 with the edge cut at a 45 degree angle to reach over the scale. And the 2x4 sets on a die box. It works well.

You can put a redding trickler on the edge of the acculab and trickle right into the pan. With the .02 Grain resolution of the acculab, the trickler often put 2-3 extruded kernels of powder into the pan which went over your target weight. I found it easier to grab a pinch of powder with my fingers and just drop them into the pan. I still have my trickler, but never use it anymore. You just get used to using your fingers. Faster and easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is exactly the problem I'm having with the My Weigh Gem Pro right now. When I try to trickle, the zero drifts because it thinks the added bits of weight are noise.

So you are telling me the acculab does this too?!?!?</div></div>

this is the same way that I use mine and there are no issues.

this is the best scale I have ever used and the performance of the rounds has proven to be better accuraccy

Highly recommend that the VIC 123 is a great deal and aid to have

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is exactly the problem I'm having with the My Weigh Gem Pro right now. When I try to trickle, the zero drifts because it thinks the added bits of weight are noise.

So you are telling me the acculab does this too?!?!? </div></div>

If the Acculab is configured correctly it won't do this. If it is configured incorrectly it will do this consistently. There are certain settings outlined in the instruction manual to configure the scale optimally for reloading. Just call Acculab tech support and ask them for the right settings for reloading.