• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can you use a surgeon 1086 for a .338 Lapua?

operator45

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2005
San Antonio, TX
Or is there another way to set up a switch barrel surgeon to go between 6.5 creedmoor and .338 Lapua? I am looking at the JAE stock as well.

Re: Can you use a surgeon 1086 for a .338 Lapua?

Just from looking at their website, it looks like they don't make a lapua bolt face for the 1086. You could always get the XL, they make both a lapua and 308 bolt face for it.

Long action short action,i know you already know this is Apples oranges. Id go 6.5 creed to 7wsm if i needed more punch. If you go long action your gonna cut your magazine capacity in half,thats a big deal for what most tac 6.5 creeds are used for. Prob be better off to have a long action mag. rig and another short action rig. Just opinion. Call wade at surgeon or pm him on here, he'll get ya sorted out, im purdy sure they want ya on xl for 338

Go with the XL. The only issue you will face is making the 6.5 creed feed correctly out of those 338 or 300 win magazines.

Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or is there another way to set up a switch barrel surgeon to go between 6.5 creedmoor and .338 Lapua? I am looking at the JAE stock as well. </div></div>

I was told by Stephen @ Surgeon that he would NOT use the 1086 for 338 Lapua. He says that is what the XL was made for.

And if they offer a 308 bolt face on the XL then there is a way to get them to both work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or is there another way to set up a switch barrel surgeon to go between 6.5 creedmoor and .338 Lapua? I am looking at the JAE stock as well. </div></div>

I was told by Stephen @ Surgeon that he would NOT use the 1086 for 338 Lapua. He says that is what the XL was made for.

And if they offer a 308 bolt face on the XL then there is a way to get them to both work. </div></div>

I'm fairly sure the 308 boltface was made in the XL for 6.5x55, 284, etc. I'm guessing you could mod the long action mags to work, but I would definitely try them to make sure you work before you go out and spend the money on building one.

with the JAE stock i could also switch between the short mags and long mags. however they do not work with the XL action. This is my thought. Not sure it will work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or is there another way to set up a switch barrel surgeon to go between 6.5 creedmoor and .338 Lapua? I am looking at the JAE stock as well. </div></div>

And if they offer a 308 bolt face on the XL then there is a way to get them to both work. </div></div>

I'm fairly sure the 308 boltface was made in the XL for 6.5x55, 284, etc. I'm guessing you could mod the long action mags to work, but I would definitely try them to make sure you work before you go out and spend the money on building one. </div></div>

That to. But that goes along the line of why did Remington make the M24 a long action 308? Doesn't make sense but sometimes they just do it for a goal that may be in the distant future.

I am actually converting my XL from 338LM to 300WM....