• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Canada vs. US Shopping and Shipping

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    Hey ya'll, I'm the first one to go out of my way to specifically support "the Local" as opposed to the 'big box stores' or the International Conglomerate. So, with regards to the "salt-bath annealing method" that I'd been reading about for quite some time, and add that to the fact that we DESPERATELY need an annealer here, I approached the local chemistry supply shop. Explained to them what I needed, they asked what I was doing with those chemicals,,, I explained that nothing I'm doing has any nefarious intent then went on to explain the brass annealing process (as I understand it).

Over the years I've accumulated some Lapua brass here, and that stuff is rarer than hen's teeth and twice as expensive. I've got 3 loads on them, and I'm not about to do more without taking care of it. With all the other setbacks we've had here in the past couple years, it's taken me a while to get this far. Now that I'm set-back even further and can't do anything strenuous for a while, I figured I'd look into this project to "step the reloading room up a notch" or seven!

(I know,,,, lotsa words)

So I get home after running a few needed errands and check the email. Sure enough, there's a quote.
    Sodium Nitrate, 6.6 lbs, $125.50
    Potassium Nitrate, 5.5 lbs, $126.75
    supplied in local warehouse so no 'shipping charges'.

Uh Huh. $252.25 for 12.1 lbs of this 'salt'????

So I start scanning the threads again, to find some other numbers that you'se guys's were talking about, and they are as follows:
    (From a shop called 'Duda Diesel')
    5 lb bag Sodium Nitrate $8.39
    5 lb bag Potassium Nitrate $12.25
    + shipping charges to the nearest town on YOUR side of the border: $16.32

So, I don't know what the process is for bringing this stuff into Canada, and I don't know what the Customs agents are going to say/think/do. I won't deny that I have MORE learning to do, and I'm good with that.

But are ya'll seeing just a touch of the difference between 'regular commerce' on your end, and on others ends? What ya'll take for 'normal' truly ISN'T. What ya'll take for 'regular' AIN'T, either. I'm not knocking ya'll, or your system. I'm ONLY trying to show you how different your system is.

I can't imagine what this would be like in Britain, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Germany, Spain, Belgium, or even The NetherRegions. :D

So if any of ya'll know something about this, or have a different suggestion for the same end, or have something else to add then by all means, throw it out here and share.

I mean, there's gotta be a way. It's not like I'm trying to steal uranium or kryton switches or even looking for a recipe for polonium stew. I just want to anneal some brass. Not a hope in hell I can do the induction heating, and I'd rather have something controlled'er and less finicky'er than the flame method. This being the 'cheapest option' so far, isn't.

Somebody here might even be a Canuckian Chemistryologist, and could point a direction..... one would hope.

Last edited: