• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Canadian 6.5 build Canada

Roblonsberry

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2021
Canada
Hello everyone,

I’m looking into building my first rifle. I own quite a few but nothing custom. My goals are to shoot out to 1 mile and not go broke! I need to be able to source my components in Canada.

I have dies for a 6.5 creed so I’d like to stay there but if I’m right I could use the same seater die for other 6.5’s such as the 6.5x47. If I’m wrong by all means let me know.

this will be a bench gun so a barrel between 27-30” will be good. I don’t know that they’re obtainable here that long. 27” IBI are available up here in 7.5,8 and 9” twists. I think I’m better off to go with the fastest twist rate. I’m leaning toward a heavy palma contour.

Stocks seem to be readily available. I like Cadex and MDT. Woox look awesome but I can’t find them up here. M-lok is preferred since I have arca tripods and bipods.

Actions are the ones that have me confused. I don’t see much up here. I don’t want to spend too much. Be tried a Defiance but they’re way too dear. My old Tikka are plenty smooth enough for me. I just want consistency. This is where I need all your expertise .

Should I go with a rem 700 style action?

Will a .308 bolt face work with all 6.5?

I like trigger techs and I can get them.

By all means chime in with your thoughts and why you think that way.

I‘m here to learn.

Hello everyone,

I’m looking into building my first rifle. I own quite a few but nothing custom. My goals are to shoot out to 1 mile and not go broke! I need to be able to source my components in Canada.

I have dies for a 6.5 creed so I’d like to stay there but if I’m right I could use the same seater die for other 6.5’s such as the 6.5x47. If I’m wrong by all means let me know.

this will be a bench gun so a barrel between 27-30” will be good. I don’t know that they’re obtainable here that long. 27” IBI are available up here in 7.5,8 and 9” twists. I think I’m better off to go with the fastest twist rate. I’m leaning toward a heavy palma contour.

Stocks seem to be readily available. I like Cadex and MDT. Woox look awesome but I can’t find them up here. M-lok is preferred since I have arca tripods and bipods.

Actions are the ones that have me confused. I don’t see much up here. I don’t want to spend too much. Be tried a Defiance but they’re way too dear. My old Tikka are plenty smooth enough for me. I just want consistency. This is where I need all your expertise .

Should I go with a rem 700 style action?

Will a .308 bolt face work with all 6.5?

I like trigger techs and I can get them.

By all means chime in with your thoughts and why you think that way.

I‘m here to learn.
Here is my Canadian build.
Ultimatum Deadline action.
IBI 1-7.5” twist 6.5 Creedmoor spiral fluted barrel.
Ultimatum and IBI are one and the same company.
You can buy the barreled action assembled.

MDT ACC Premier chassis with the SRS Short buttstock.
I needed a 12.5” length of pull otherwise I would have gone with the ACC Elite chassis.
MDT Ultimatum Compatibility Kit (shorter mag latch and a thicker washer for the rear action screw. ($50.00) Canadian.
I went with a Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage but you can save a few bucks by going with the Special.
I wanted to keep the build all Canadian so I topped it off with a Tangent Theta TT525P.

If you want to go with a custom action there isn’t much available in Canada unless you want to wait a long time or spend a crap ton of money.
You can also look on the equipment exchange on Canadiangunnutz you can look for actions for sale. As long as you pick an action that accepts Savage small shank barrels you will be ok to assemble it yourself.

Here is a pic of the rifle at Dead Zero Shooting Park in Spencer Tennessee this past Friday.

Here is a link to the thread I posted about my visit.

Last edited:
That’s a beauty. Way outta my budget tho. Scope alone hurts!
I was just looking at the IBI and they have an ultimatum defacto action.

I would just make sure that the MDT chassis will work with the defacto action.
I have 3 IBI barrels and have no complaints.
26” is the longest on the IBI website.
The action, barrel and scope were all purchased on the CGN EE.
My 24” was getting 1558fps at 1,000Y with 147gr ELD-M Hornady Match Ammo.

I got the barreled action for $2k Canadian virtually brand new so there are deals out there if you wait and look.

Last edited:
If you aren’t in a rush ultimatum will be releasing their HMB acrion in a few months which will be a 700 footprint for the 1200 dollar range. Other than that there is used actions that can be had in similar price ranges if you keep an eye out. I have an action I’ll be posting for sale shortly in Canada so they do come up from time to time. Another one is the em precision Curtis custom action (their own branding on it) I believe is also in the 1200 ish dollar range. Just email shane to double check though, those boys can help you out for sure as well.

Above that there is tons of actions in Canada. There is KS arms actions (Canadian made), ultimatum deadlines gen 2 (Canadian made) then all the standard actions are available up here as well.

As for barrels ibi and ks arms both make barrels in Canada. Both barrels have been incredible. I own 4-5 ibi barrels and 5 ks arms barrels If I recall, 1 deadline gen 2 and 1 ks arms sar action plus a handful of others.

Ryan at ibi/ultimatum has been great to deal with, and has made me a some killer barrels and 1 killer build. Mike at ks arms has also been great to work with and they definitely know what they are doing too. Ibi is button rifled and ks is cut rifled. Ks arms will make more custom contours and twists etc but ibi has majority of them covered as well. Can’t go wrong with either.

Here is 2 different ibi barrels, one on an ultimatum deadline and 1 on a lone peak

0FA1AC98-B8FC-425F-9067-099EF1F1ABCE.jpeg
090F6202-784C-4AF5-AAF8-28D08DB98C1F.jpeg
CA1AD48A-BB01-46DA-B09B-544ECFD2F2C0.jpeg
4672C2A3-FD22-4DDD-8BBD-E51F98286BB1.jpeg
692BC506-4878-4DDF-8223-9461319A686A.jpeg

01EA4816-D247-48D0-A725-D2C4321B953A.jpeg
89150693-B5DD-45ED-A037-4CB8D89A692A.jpeg

Then here is on of my ks arms barrels on an impact.
64173EF9-0BA6-469E-801E-95EA18F2D323.jpeg
E95BC5C1-4724-49CE-AAB4-3015EFDE3DA2.jpeg
86CD4EDD-3013-4D0A-9F61-11E61B56F7E9.jpeg
A3C86625-D5B2-4509-9F30-6B5131984F6C.jpeg
779A9E00-EE0B-465B-A034-E4776755D7F7.jpeg

Reactions: Thump_rrr
KS arms in Edmonton I believe its only like 3 months for one of their actions right now.
If you are looking to shoot a mile go to 6.5 PRC absolute minimum. which you need a magnum bolt face (.540")
308 has a .480 face.
If you want consistency at a mile I'd look at a big 30 cal.

Reactions: Matt_3479
JC custom barrels makes a great barrel. He spun me a 30" 7 saum and it's a hammer. His lead times are brutal though. 12 weeks means 8 months. You should post your budget as it will be easier to recommend parts. Deadline gen 2 is nice, KS arms actions are supposed to be great. Gobigtactical has/had a ks 3 lug in stock and he stocks PVA shouldered barrels for the ks actions. If you aren't hung up on an all Canadian build, the origin is a good option up here. Pristine has a cheap action but I don't know if I'd go for one of theirs.

Go big tactical has actions. Same with Gary at Bighorn Sales, email him at Bighorngunparts at Gmail.com

Reactions: Taylorbok
Jut to be clear it looks like the Defacto action is a Tikka footprint NOT a Remington 700 clone.

Here is a another mostly Canadian build on the slightly cheaper side. Ultimatum gen 1 action that I bought used off CGN, IBI 1:8 223 barrel, MDT elite brake, MDT XRS chassis with enclosed forend and adjustable butt.
Really like the Ultimatum action. I’ve wanted to try one for a long time but when Ultimatum went dark a while ago I held off. After IBI bought the company I was finally confident to get one because Ryan is a great guy and I have confidence he’ll do great things with the brand and support his products.

Wait a minute for his new HMB action if you’re on a budget. That action plus an IBI barrel and a XRS chassis would be a great all Canadian budget conscious rifle.

IMG_3302.jpeg

Here is a another mostly Canadian build on the slightly cheaper side. Ultimatum gen 1 action that I bought used off CGN, IBI 1:8 223 barrel, MDT elite brake, MDT XRS chassis with enclosed forend and adjustable butt.
Really like the Ultimatum action. I’ve wanted to try one for a long time but when Ultimatum went dark a while ago I held off. After IBI bought the company I was finally confident to get one because Ryan is a great guy and I have confidence he’ll do great things with the brand and support his products.

Wait a minute for his new HMB action if you’re on a budget. That action plus an IBI barrel and a XRS chassis would be a great all Canadian budget conscious rifle.

View attachment 8195432
Also if he can wait till Black Friday he can save a bunch during the MDT sale.
There are some blemished chassis that can be had for deep discounts but you can’t dilly dally.
Put it in your cart and pay for it then go back for more or else it will be gone.

Reactions: Blueoval56