• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Canadian Bear Hunt

GSPKurt

III
Minuteman
May 19, 2009
Trenton, FL.
I would like to hunt bear in Canada. Which area generally has the largest bears? Do any of you have any first-hand experience with an outfitter you can recommend? TIA...

Re: Canadian Bear Hunt

Vancouver Island and Northern/Coastal British Columbia have very large black bears. BC is spot and stalk hunting, and 99% of the bears will be black. Northern Alberta and Saskatchewan will also give you a chance at a book bear. Alberta has a 2 bear limit and you will get a reasonable chance at a colour phase bear. Sorry I can't recommend an outfitter as I've never had to use one.

Black Bears can be hunted in every Canadian province. We've had pretty good luck in Newfoundland and near Sandspit, B.C. What time of the year are you going to hunt and what is your budget?

I have no idea when the best time to hunt them would be, and I'm pretty flexible on price, within reason. Looking for direction at this time. Thanks for your input.

Most outfitters in Canada are geared towards the spring hunt as most will switch to deer/moose or waterfowl etc in the fall. That rules out Ontario as the spring bear hunt there has been cancelled for the last few years. That doesn't mean you can't hunt them in the fall, just that it isn't usually the guides focus. Spring hunting also means the ability to run baits to draw the bears in, giving you the chance to look many bears over.