• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns canadian buying a pistol ?

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
I have a buddy that wants to purchase a pistol from me
he has been in the US for about 10 years working i looked at the ATF's website
and i am getting conflicting information

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

#5 line 5 says if he is a alien admitted to the United States under a non immigrant visa he is prohibited
but #13 says if he has resided in the state for more than 90 days he is eligible
so im looking for some clarification

non immigrant alien
Yeah, I got that part.

What visa does he have? Canadians can come in temporarily without a visa, but then they are not residents and they can't stay for ten years. If he's been living and working here for ten years legally, then he's a resident. The question is whether the visa that he is on is considered an 'immigrant' visa. Did he apply on an OF-156? If so, it's a non immigrant visa. Is he here on some kind of free-trade worker program that can't ever lead to permanent resident alien status? Then it's a non-immigrant visa.

I have a buddy that wants to purchase a pistol from me
he has been in the US for about 10 years working i looked at the ATF's website
and i am getting conflicting information

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

#5 line 5 says if he is a alien admitted to the United States under a non immigrant visa he is prohibited
but #13 says if he has resided in the state for more than 90 days he is eligible
so im looking for some clarification
-
He should be GTG on the handgun purchase . Needs to show Proof of living/residency there for the adequate time is all .
( Not say you friend is Illegal ) . But I don't thing even being Illegal has anything to do with it . I see Mexicans buying handgun here @ the local shops & once I saw one drag-in a 2nd party for a translator & for the reading & signatures . All they do is show any proof of the needed months living here , Like state ID/DL , Rent/Lease/utilities bill with name on it .

-
He should be GTG on the handgun purchase . Needs to show Proof of living/residency there for the adequate time is all .
( Not say you friend is Illegal ) . But I don't thing even being Illegal has anything to do with it . I see Mexicans buying handgun here @ the local shops & once I saw one drag-in a 2nd party for a translator & for the reading & signatures . All they do is show any proof of the needed months living here , Like state ID/DL , Rent/Lease/utilities bill with name on it .

if he is here on a non immigrant visa regardless of how long he is here he may NOT purchase a firearm ... period ...
you can't pick and choose which parts to apply and how .. if he is in the country legally then the residency
isn't the issue, it's his status which is a non immigrant !!!! non immigrants can't purchase a firearm ..

English isn't a requirement for purchases of anything neither is where they were born it's their
status. just my .02