• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Canadian C3A1 clone , almost done

ChrisF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2002
New Zealand
Hi Guys ,

Here's a couple of quick pisc of a build that is almost complete , and has taken a very , very long time , its measured in YEARs .
I started it when I saw a mint Parker Hale M87 in 243 cal for sale at a good price in the UK & then I brought a new USO MST-100 just for it , those where the easy parts , the special Parker hale scope mount was un-obtainable , and I had trouble even finding photos of it , got a Canadian book that showed photos of it , and it looked a tricky thing to reverse engineer , given I only had one grainy side on pic of it .
So waited and looked , then yrs later a guy was selling a crap 22lr rifle & it had the C3A1 mount on it , finally got it , BUT it was butched beyond belief , but at least I had it .

Anyway heres some quick pics of it , it still needs a correct stock , either a McMillan A2 or old wood TX1200 target stock .
So its basically a Parker Hale M87 rifle with a TX1200 profile 308 cal barrel , and the Parker Hale C3A1 mount & a USO MST-100 scope .

I will shoot it as is ( ie in the wood M87 stock ) until I one of the above stocks .

Cheers Chris

The rifle looks great! With the exception of the bolt shroud, it looks like a Mauser bolt, so I guess it's a modified-top Mauser action. The barrel looks to be a medium contour straight-taper affair; handy, not too heavy. When were these things used, '80's-'90's? Maybe you'll get more replies in the "Vintage" rifle section; dunno.

Congratulations on the project, it looks fantastic!

When were these things used, '80's-'90's?

The C3 was adopted by the Canadians in 1972, it's based on the Parker Hale M82. Around 1975 came the C3A1, the A1 had a McMillan A2 and the 10x Unertl.
http://www.eme421.com/c3a1.jpg

The Cunucks used this system until 2005 when the upgraded to the C14 (PGWDTI Timberwolf) in 338LM that they still use today alongside of the C15 McMillan TAC50 and also I believe some sort of AR10 as well.

Last edited:
Yes , the replacement was the 338LM Timberwolf , BUT they then realised , due to the cost of everyone using a 338LM , ammo & re-barrel , they decided to keep the C3A1s in service as a training rifle in their sniper schools I think .

Later Chris

Actually , I think the ONLY part of the different actioned M82/C3 rifle , was the bolt ( so they could claim its a up-grade , & not a replacement , cheaper for bean counters to approve ) , the action on the C3A1 is basically the Parker Hale M87 with a TX1200 ( target barrel ) dropped back into the original C3 wood stock ( TX1200 ) , later they put some into McM A2 stocks .

Cheers Chris

Actually , I think the ONLY part of the different actioned M82/C3 rifle , was the bolt ( so they could claim its a up-grade , & not a replacement , cheaper for bean counters to approve ) , the action on the C3A1 is basically the Parker Hale M87 with a TX1200 ( target barrel ) dropped back into the original C3 wood stock ( TX1200 ) , later they put some into McM A2 stocks .

Cheers Chris
That is correct.

Last edited:

.......And the Mil dots melted in the sun.

Last edited:
Yes the C3 is still used as a training rifle for now. It is supposed to be replaced with the coyote by PGW I believe, but who knows when or if that will ever happen. The Unertyl on the C3 is only calibrated to 800M however, and yes the reticle can and will melt if the scope is left in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. Whenever they are on the line and not being shot you see them with hats or bikini covers on them to protect them as best as possible.
However for being as old as they are, most of them still shoot exceptionally well, I was able to shoot a 10 rd group that I was able to easily cover with a single target paster, with issued IVI match ammo.

Chris, that is some kind of sweet. The pics of it out side just make me want one even that much more! Congrats on such a fine rifle.

I, too, am glad you did that. It brought back some memories for me of a time before this kind of shooting became popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could have been very easy for this build not too have ever happened at all , the rifle was virtually brand new and was so nice , I almost did not want to modify it .
But when I got the scope mount ( even in the butchered state ) , that was i thought the real hard part to get , then I was locked in to making it happen , then the last real big problem was the barrel , and as I wanted it as original as possible , I wanted a new original Parker Hale barrel , and as they have not been made in 25-30yrs , that was tricky , then I contacted a guy in UK that had a small stock of new original PH barrels , I needed a TX1200 profile , and he had one , sorted , almost , did some research & found that the TX1200 was a 1-14 twist & would not stabilise a 175gr bullet ( problem as this is what the scope is cammed for ) , so I was stuck again.
Thats until I heard about a guy that brought all the old Parker Hale barrel making equipment , so I have a " new " PH barrel in a 1-12 twist .

Yeap , its been a long road for this build , with a lot of major road blocks , lucky I am a real stubborn B@#%ard , or it would not have gotten this far .

Looking forward to getting a McMillan stock to finish it off ??

Cheers Chris

Barrel from Armalon in the UK , they have all the old PH barrel gear ,

This is a answer to a PM, as I seem to have issue sending PMs .

Later Chris