• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Canadian goose decoy recommendations

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Hey everyone,

Looking at getting some goose decoys and looking for a recommendation. I am looking to get maybe a dozen full bodies and a dozen shells. I want flocked heads for sure. One thing I also want is the ability to switch out the heads when they get bad. What do you guys use and what would you recommendation?

Re: Canadian goose decoy recommendations

Can't go wrong with Bigfoots. I haven't kept up to date on all the new crap out there in the last 2-3 years. If you ask me, decoy prices are becoming F'in ridiculous. Skip the shells and look for used Bigfoots. If you want to add a few numbers without bulk, Real Geese Pro II's work just fine too.

Bigfoots are the way to go for standers, all decoys are going to be flocked nowadays plus there is a flocking spray that you can use if you want to flock the bodies (helpful 'cus the shine will make them flare-off) or touch up the heads.

Shells are OK and are good to make your spread bigger on the cheap. If you ever go out and look a live 'gaggle' on the ground you will see a lot of them laying down like a shell does so to me it adds to the realism/calm aspect.

We also have ducks that will land in the field so we usually will toss a few ducks into a little group on the outskirts of the goose spread, seems to work ok.

Any of you have an idea where to look for some used decoys? My only concern with the big foots are how big the darn feet are. Makes it very awkward to carry. Any recommendations on a bag that would accomidate the big foots with ease? I had it between big foot and Greenhead Gear, anything against Greenhead decoys, or are the big foots just better?

Best place to find used waterfowl decoys is on waterfowl forums like this. For you, beings you're in SD, you may want to check out the classifieds at Nodakoutdoors.com. Duck Hunting Chat would be another, as well as The Refuge, refugeforums.com.

The beauty of Bigfoots is you don't need to bag them. We beat the piss out of ours and they continue to kill birds. The heads will get banged up, no getting around that. But the bodies look great yet. And they aren't that bad to carry, usually carry 4 at a time.

GHG isn't bad either, but their bodies don't hold up like a Bigfoot. I'd bag GHGs. It don't matter what you do, all decoys will get banged up a bit, but they will all continue to decoy birds. Geese don't really care about a few scratches on your decoys.

Anybody tried the BigFoot B2 decoys? From what I read they are slightly smaller. Anyone had any experience with them?

I have hunted waterfowl for 8 years and hunted over em all. The first thing I'll tell is that you'll have to look at your situation and pick what's best. Eight years ago there was bigfoot and hardcore. Now, it seems like there are almost too many options.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bigfoots</span>
Pros:
Super tough
Doesn't need bag, can throw in pickup bed
Good looking
Cons:
No motion
cannot be put in slotted bags
Take up a LOT of room (for above reasons)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Greenhead gear</span> ($159 for 6- Harvester pack)
Pros:
Great looking decoy
GHG motion system (THIS IS THE BEST EVER MADE)
Affordable
Slotted bags commonly available
Cons:
Less durable (look great if taken care of and bagged)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tanglefree Pro-series</span> (highly recommended) ($139 for 6)
Pros:
Good looking
CHEAP
Hardcore style motion system (not close to GHG)

Cons:
Motion system takes more wind
Paint is on par with GHG

<span style="font-weight: bold">Webfoot Real-Geese II</span> ($215 for 12)
Pros:
Cost
Durable
GOOD LOOKING- 2-D fools geese all the time
Compact- go hunting in your civic after work
They kill geese!

Cons:
Need to drill holes for frozen ground or use stake punch.
May have less visibility from the top

For your first purchase I'd HIGHLY suggest some silhouette decoys. Webfoot Real-Geese II are the BEST silo at $215 for a dozen. You can fit 2 dozen into a single bag that carries over your shoulder and they kill geese. YES they are 2-Dimmensional decoys but I've never seen a goose that cared.

Trust me in that geese will flare off of YOU long before they do over 2-D decoys. A good spread of silhouettes will have a very 3-D look if they are cocked at different angles and changes in appearance as birds circle the spread. As an old skeptic, I'm now sold on silhouettes because I've seen them kill birds as good or BETTER than other spreads.

A few years ago, you might be able to make up for some weaknesses with good decoys but geese are getting shot up over VERY good looking spreads. You have got to hide like crazy or you will get picked apart NO MATTER what you put out.

Hope this helps.
Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremybj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody tried the BigFoot B2 decoys? From what I read they are slightly smaller. Anyone had any experience with them? </div></div>

These are not made the same as regular bigfoot decoys. They do not mold the paint into the plastic as with regular bigfoots. I've seen a lot of complaints on these.

Howitzer, that is a pretty nice deal you wrote up there, I appreciate your knowledge. Have you, or anyone else for that matter, used Dakota Decoys?

Anybody used NRA FUD (Fold Up Decoy)?

http://store.nrafud.com/fud/Product.aspx?productid=CA00001

Carries like a 2D but folds up 3D-like. Staking them on frozen ground may present a challenge (the stake is flat and quite wide).

I'm gonna try the mallard version, since you can easily use them in water and on ground. And the carry easy. Heads are also adjustable for position (can cover sentry, feeding etc. with just one type of decoy)

ive been hunting geese my whole life on the eastern shore of maryland, and ive tried every different decoy at some time or another and stuffers are the only way to go. they work out in the sun overcast snow what ever. only drawback is you dont really want to use them in the rain..

i've hunted over bigfoots, ghg, hardcores, and deadly decoys. Bigfoots are definitely the most durable with hardcores being the worst. Deadly decoys had good detail but are much heavier than the reset.

I've never hunted over dave smith or aero because they come with a steep price tag and the others seem to kill geese.

If I was to do it again I would run all bigfoots and not worry about taking great care of them as they can take some abuse or ghg lessers.

After hunting waterfowl for the last 22 years guiding and being in multiple states. Bigfoots are the way to go. You can put motion to them with a plate made at cabelas cant remember the name but just a little wind makes them move. Also i dont care what decoys you have with out the right location you will watch them just fly away.

I think I am going to go with a set of big foots, they are very readily available on forums used, which is great cause I'm always looking to save money. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Happy hunting!

I will say this just get BIGFOOTS, regular or the B2 s they both work great, I have tried outher brands, I have avains and ghg I use my avain lessers for motion, but Bigfoots are my main spread , I bought some divebomb silos but they kept flairing the geese for me, I pulled them from my spread and they came right in to the fullbody Bigfoots, they have just helped me kill too many geese to change and they last I have some over 20 years old they are still working, I also like avains if they would fix the pull out stake I rigged mine to just stay out because they were locking up or pulling all the way out. I glue the feet on my Bigfoots and the heads with plumbers goop, they are like tanks. in my opion Bigfoots rule! not bashing GHG or Avain x But I prefer Bigfoots for the long haul They have proven that to me and I have alot of years hunting Geese, and also dont get caught up in the the big spread theroy I have debunked that many times, for snow gees numbers, but honkers anywhere from 3/ 6/ 36/ 60/ somtimes onely 18 will bring them in feet down.

Hey everyone,

Looking at getting some goose decoys and looking for a recommendation. I am looking to get maybe a dozen full bodies and a dozen shells. I want flocked heads for sure. One thing I also want is the ability to switch out the heads when they get bad. What do you guys use and what would you recommendation?
Big Feet and fill them in with Real Geese silhouettes and some Silo Sock wind socks if there is enough wind to move them.

As for flocking....we have flocked out Big Feet heads and tails. Bit of black paint then just dust them with nylon flocking material. I would advise, however, to use a face mask as otherwise you will be blowing that fine flocking nylon out of your nose for the next day or so! haha

We have also, after about 15 years of use, painted our Big Feet and they came out great. PIA, but they are still looking good. This is them drying off after flocking and painting. Base coat of paint then card in some black. I think they came out pretty good.

Big Feet after Flocking 2014.JPG

If you get Real Geese silos, get the Pro II ones anti-glare coated on both sides. I got the ones coated on one side once and the issue wasn't glare....it was the uncoated side grew black mold and crap and the coated side really didn't and stayed looking good longer.

We used to have tons of plywood, home made, silos....simple, simple paint job but heavy as a mother. We also used to use Outlaw silos but sadly they are not made anymore

That's how we do it on Maryland's eastern shore though it should be noted that most outfitters just put out 300-400 silhouettes....usually home made wood ones. Geese don't seem to know the difference.

Last edited: