• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Canik Mete SFx vs. Tp9 SFX

jeremydc

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2021
Guam
Not sure if this forum is for this question so sorry in advance if anything. Anypne have any experience with the Canik line, mainly the Mete SFx and Tp9 SFx?

Im looking for my first pistol that i will eventually want to try comps with, also planning to get a red dot too down the line after getting familiar with iron sights.
Anyways I am looking at impactguns.com and I see both for sale.

Mete Sfx is $500, TP9 SFx is $647
Price difference is TP9 SFx has a vortex viper sight with the package. For the Mete version, I plan

All I know is Mete SFX is newer and im reading a lot of people like the ergo. Its mainly more of a combat pistol? While the Tp9 SFx is a competition pistol. Like the Tp9 SFX because it has an expensive optic out of the box (Vortex Viper; $250). Like the Mete SFX because I can cowitness with red dot (Sig Romeo Zero; $150). Not even sure if there's a quality difference over any of the sights.

So this is my dilemma, For $650 either way I can do this:
1. Get the Mete SFX and add a Sig Romeo Zero on it
2. Get the Tp9 SFX out the box like that.

There was a recall on the TP9 SFX for a safety issue. You pay to ship it back and get it fixed. Just make sure this one is upgraded before purchasing.

Only other experience is had two friends with Canik , both pistols quit firing during a training after only couple hundred rounds. That was 2 years ago.

Have they improved? I don’t know.

Edit: wasn’t a safety failure, but some malfunction within the trigger or striker system.
Thanks for that heads up, I haven't read or seen anything about this issue

Thanks for that heads up, I haven't read or seen anything about this issue
I have a tp9 stx. About 500 rounds through it so far with zero issues. Probably my favorite pistol right now. Great trigger and no reliability issues so far. The difference with the mete is with the sights. Tp9 has the sight plate with the rear sight integrated. Add optics, lose rear sight. Mete you keep the rear sight after adding optic. I also think the grip texture is more aggressive with the mete.

If I was picking a 9 I would still have to choose between a walther pdp and a canik. Walther may be a bit better in qc, but you have to send off for the correct sight plate and get far less with your purchase such as tools and holster. Tough choice.

Last edited:
I have a TP9SFX,probably 700 rounds through it, no issues. great trigger, very accurate. The Canik is a great value for what you get. Also give the FN509 Tactical a look.