Canned Air

Joey Dean

Minuteman
Jul 8, 2010
Oklahoma City
Has anyone put a short blast of canned air down their barrel between shots on an OCW or Ladder to aid barrel cooling?

I am not talking about emptying a full can down a smoking hot tube here.

M1Amen

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
I have seen competition shooters use an aquarium air pump to cool their rifle barrels by running a piece of tubing from the air pump to the bore. I would think the can of air is not going to do a whole lot for you unless you give a really good long blast. Maybe some of the competition shooters can chime in with an air pump technique.

Griff24

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2012
Pflugerville, TX
Canned air is usually a liquid under pressure that expands into a gas. One byproduct from liquid->gas expansion is heat absorption. It will cool the barrel very rapidly. I would think that would be a bad thing in a precision rifle barrel but that is my uneducated opinion.

Joey Dean

Minuteman
Jul 8, 2010
Oklahoma City
Griff,

That is my point. The cooling would be dependant upon the length of the blast. I think, but have no data to back it up, that as long as we are not talking a radical temperature swing there would be no harm. Hence my point on doing this between rounds so there was no substantial heat build up in the barrel to begin with.

George Az

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Northern Az
I have been to a drag race and seen guys put bags of ice on the intake manifold before the next run. I am wondering.........

ChrisGarrett

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 2, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I would think that near the end of the air tube, you'd get quicker, more rapid cooling and perhaps a tighter contraction, than you would get near the muzzle, or vice versa.

Chris

Griff24

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 3, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    If the temp change isn't drastic I don't think it would hurt. Now I have this mental picture of somebody with an upside down can dumping liquid into the chamber.