• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cannon gun safes, any reviews or input?

mberry223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
Looking at buying a new safe and I ran across this one at Sam's: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=424731

It's a Cannon SC35 for $1225 delivered. It is in line with what I can afford, and is a great size for my needs.

Does anyone have experience with this brand? I have read a lot of great information on previous safe buying threads. I am just looking for specific comments about this brand or model.

Thanks!

Re: Cannon gun safes, any reviews or input?

I have a Cannon safe and have had no problems. Good over all
construction and dial is easy to input combination.

I don't have that exact model, but i do have a Cannon 72x40. It's decent. My only complaint is that when the safe is locked, there is some slop if you try to turn the handle. It doesn't feel "solid". I also wish i had a manual lock instead of electronic. The electronic lock is very convenient, but i worry about its reliability.

Here is the one i have.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/safes/cannon-ts7240-tall-wide-body-gun-safe-3910084

I have the 32 gun model, and I like it. Ive seen nicer ones but twice the money

I've had a Cannon for about 8 years now with a dial combination lock. The internals have slipped a bit which changed the combination slightly but other than that I haven't had any issues.

Not top of the line but sufficient in my opinion.

I have two with Dig locks and I have always had second thoughts about the digital part. But in 6 years I have yet to have a failure. Next safe I will buy, will be a dial lock but thats just my two cents. Over all for the value +1 for cannon. You might look at a safe called a bighorn. We have a safe company here in Oklahoma that sells them and you can get a 72" x 40" or 42" with dig or dial for under 2500 bucks.

Attended several schools on surreptitious entry techniques and alarm bypassing taught by one Bob Duman who is well known in the law enforcement community for this as well as safe cracking/drilling. When discussing entry in to safes after search warrants, he advised that the electronic dials were the easiest to bypass and to stick with a dial type lock.
Also an important tip to all you hide members: Always change the combination from the factory combo provided upon receiving your safe! The manufacturer keeps that number on file by way of serial number. I can't tell you how many safe's I've opened after a warrant by obtaining the original combination from the manufacturer.
Its amazing how much money we spend on rifles, scopes, and equipment and then skimp on the container that protects it! Just my .02.

Are these made in the USA? I have been safe shopping and can not believe how many are made in CHINA. I'm a buy anything but made in China kinda guy.

It's amazing, we've been sending them our classic Chevys and Fords and they send it back to us in the form of an 800lbs steel box filled with 54 cubic feet of uber polluted Chinese air ... Does this make any sense?

Sorry for the ranting near hijack...

I have an American Eagle which is made by Cannon, and have been satisfied. I prefer the e-lock for speed of getting it open. It certainly isn't the top of the line, but it's not a top of the line price either.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS purchase a larger safe than what you think you will need.

I work at Tractor Supply and we carry three of the "low end" cannons, but as far a function they are great. If you live near a TSC, they can special order accessories for them also!!

I have the 36 gun safe and it is a good safe. I like the electronics on it better than the combination ones. I also have another 24 gun safe. The Cannon is far better quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: igofast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an American Eagle which is made by Cannon, and have been satisfied. </div></div>

Me too. I went with the combination lock, for reasons described above. Great safe for a good price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS purchase a larger safe than what you think you will need. </div></div>

+1

I have a Cannon safe and it'd fantastic. I'd highly recommend them!

My brother bought a Canon safe about two years ago. Last month the electronic lock went bad and had to spend about 350.00 with locksmith to open safe and Replaced the electronics with a dial lock.Local safe builder advised me to stay away from the electronic locks and go with dial, for the long haul dials are much more reliable.I have an electronic on my Frontier safe and had no problems. If I were to do over again I would have purchased a safe with the dial lock. The push buttons are great but when the electronics go bad your screwed.Good luck!

This one is a dial lock. Thanks for all the advice. Bought it. I'll be sure to post a follow up if it's junk.

The Safe technicians that I know who have been in the industry since before I was born both say the same thing. The problem with the vast majority of electronic lock's 'failing' is USER ERROR! Either forgetting the code, or while trying to change the code they mess up and wind up changing the code to something other that what they intended.

Though this is in regard to good quality electronic locks, generally they don't install high quality locks at the factory. How many of us use the original stock from the factory on our rifles? If you have a S&G electronic lock I would change it out ASAP. They are known to fail for mechanical reasons. The last safe I got has one and it's going to be changed VERY soon.

There are a couple of safes that I have with La Gard electronic locks from at least 15 years ago, and they work flawlessly. Another benefit is that some electronic keypads have a function which locks out the keypad after 4 consecutive invalid entries. This helps to prevent brute force attacks. There are machines which once setup on a dial lock will keep working until the safe combo is found. I don't know about you but that doesn't instill safety in my mind, but feel free to keep spinning your dials, and wasting your time. :p

A couple links if you are interested further:

http://www.valuesafes.com/electronic_vs_dial_combination.html

http://www.intralocktools.com/products_2000.html

I was not impressed with the Canon line of safes, I went with a AmSec BF series, built like a tank!

The amsec BF series is the best built safe in the lower price ranges. In fact it's better built than most safes sold even at much higher prices. I work on safes and I would suggest you search on another post I have on the subject.

If price is no object, buy a Graffunder. Best gun safe in the world and I know master safe crackers that will tell you the same thing. But the amsec BF series is a screaming good deal for a secure gun safe.

I have one also the 32 gun model, it's ok there are definitely better safes on the market and at the same time I am sure there are worse safes. Customer Service SUCKS or is nonexistent. I just had an issue with mine and after 6 failed attempts to contact them I finally just called a locksmith. If you can afford to buy a better one I would skip the Cannon safe.

I have a 72 gun Cannon double door. I love the fucking thing. The finish and interior are exceptional, the warranty is also lifetime. The customer service is marginal however I've received responses via email after a few days.

The top end Cannons are very pricey. Depending on your budget, check out the Winchester safes. They're a bit cheaper than the Browning's and my dealer says it's a better product for the money.

If it all that you can afford, buy it. It will serve you well.