• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report cant angle

hue001t

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
jacksonville,NC/middletown CT
when entering a 10degree cant in ballistics program (alball) it showed impact to be to the side but high instead of low at all distances i was always told it hit low.

Re: cant angle

You may be confusing the sight setting required to compensate for the cant with what happens to the point of impact.

When you cant the rifle, your elevation setting will decrease, but the lower point of impact will be compensated for by a windage increase.

Let's say, for example, that your rifle requires a sight setting of 12.1 mils elevation for a 1000-yard shot in a no-windage situation.

Rotate the rifle 90 degrees, and you will need about 1.2 mils of elevation setting, and 13.2 mils of windage setting, to compensate for the fact that your elevation is now actually your windage and your windage knob is your elevation, which doesn't have a 100-yard zero on it.

Rather than get wrapped around how that works, my recommendation is don't cant the rifle...
laugh.gif

Thanx for your responce! I completly understand what your saying thats quite an easy concept. ill try agin with no wind and i guess if it shows a windage adjustment then problem solved thanx again Lindy!

well i haven't had the chance to try it again but i was curious shouldn't the drop still be a little more and just the scope adjustment be where what you described? when i have a chance to do it again maybe ill find out but drop and MOA adj are two different categories.

If you're interested in pondering this issue, here is food for your thought:

Cant Errors

My advice is not to be concerned about the magnitude and direction on the POI of canting the rifle, but be concerning about reducing cant error - but it's your time.
laugh.gif

Lindy could not be more right!
Years ago I ran the Practical Rifle course at Ft. Mead ,Maryland. I would set up the range where the shooter HAD to shoot from behind a tree fell that caused the shooter to take an abnormal cant of the rifle. It was a timed leg and all shooters had to 'Kentucky windage' the fall of shot. It was fun to see the guys really try to figure out the hold.
How many times have you seen other shooters cant a rifle and then bitch about their scores?LOL. We are our own worst enemies.