• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Can't decide: Leupold ERT M5 3.5-10x or 4.5-14x

wslowik

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I'm building a good all-around rifle. Starting with a Remington 700 SPS tactical 20" bbl and putting it in a McMillan HTG stock. Using Badger bottom metal, base and rings. I need a scope now, and I can't decide between these two magnification-wise. Can anyone help me decide?

I like the 3.5-10 because I can get it lower and it's lighter and a little over 100 bucks cheaper. But I also like the idea of having the extra magnification and larger objective on the 4.5-14.

Also, I'm pretty much set on the TMR reticle, but should I be considering the mildot? It looks like the TMR is easier to use with the half mil marks.

Both scopes are mil/mil and FFP. Thanks for any input guys.

-Bill

Re: Can't decide: Leupold ERT M5 3.5-10x or 4.5-14x

3.5-10 would make a nice compact rifle esp with alum base/rings

4.5-14 is a great range and will serve you well out to your rifles effective range

If you are going to hunt with it, I would go 3.5-10.

Then again, if you hunt long range, the 4.5-14 would be good.

It all depends on what your primary use for the rifle is...

I want this to be an all purpose rifle - hunting, tactical, shtf. I don't see the low end of either scope to be a problem, I think 3.5 or 4.5 is fine. I guess it just comes down to whether I need that extra magnification up top, and whether the extra weight/size is worth it.

I have known 3 Operators over the last few years that have shared stories of their experiences. ALL 3 consistently said that they never felt the need to have more than 10-12X in the REAL world(even out to 1000). Of course they all used mil/mil, but felt it didn't matter as long as you understood your set-up. YMMV Joe

I would go with the higher power scope. Both of the scopes are FFP so the higher mag is not a negative at all. You can stay dialed at 10x and never know the difference. But it sure is nice to have that extra 4x power on time just in case you need a little more power.

Depends on how quickly you need the scope.

SHOT is right around the corner and there might be others to think about.

Good point, probably not going to have the money until after I get my tax return, so I'll see if anything new comes out. Right now I'm leaning toward the 3.5-10x.

I'd love a nightforce, just don't have the coin for it. I can get the Leupold for 12 bills and change with my dealer discount at midway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you ever consider a Nightforce F1? The F1 (if you must have FFP) is 3.5-15 so you get the best of both worlds...

They have the MLR in mil/mil.

http://www.eurooptic.com/product~de...F1_3.5-15x50_.1_MRAD_10_Mil_Zero_Stop_MLR.htm

Might be a few more bucks than a Leupold, but like everyone on here tells me "buy once cry once". </div></div>

I would look at the leupold M3 3.5-10, IOR 2.5-10, Nightforce 2.5-10, USO 10X and Super Sniper HD 10X. If you're going to be hunting with it you probably want a more compact scope and unless the power range is above 10X I don't think you really need FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wslowik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love a nightforce, just don't have the coin for it. I can get the Leupold for 12 bills and change with my dealer discount at midway.

</div></div>

I started out wanting a 2.5-10 LR/T Leupold. I'm saving for a NF NXS, as I don't need FFP.

Deer.

I took a look at the specs and yeah, the weight difference is nothing. I figured it was more with that big objective but it looks like 4.5-14 is quite a bit shorter.

I like the idea of FFP, just makes sense to me. I would rather the scope have this feature than not.

My vision's better than 20/20, and I envision this more as a field rifle making hits on a deer's vitals or man-sized targets, not varmints or itty-bitty targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wslowik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want this to be an all purpose rifle - hunting, tactical, shtf. I don't see the low end of either scope to be a problem, I think 3.5 or 4.5 is fine. I guess it just comes down to whether I need that extra magnification up top, and whether the extra weight/size is worth it. </div></div>

What will you be hunting? Big game...predators...small game...

The weight difference between the two your looking at is negligible.

How's your vision...mine sucks...so I get higher magnification since I shoot a lot of small targets(pdogs). And if your shooting steel plates and such bigger than MOA...either of your scopes are fine. Think about your "mil setting" in this case 10X & 14X...this is probably where your scope is gonna be set at when the most difficult shots your gonna take will be(yeah hunting will be open to instance). Only you can make that decision to know which meets your needs.

The TMR is great in my opinion....you can find the scope reticle's 1/2 way point and dial the magnification back down to around 5-7X and your half mil hash marks become 1 mil hash marks.

Find someone with a 4.5-14X Leupold you can borrow and set up some targets at range...set it at 14X and 10X and see for yourself. Check the for sale forum...you can often find great deals on Mark 4's </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wslowik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want this to be an all purpose rifle - hunting, tactical, shtf. I don't see the low end of either scope to be a problem, I think 3.5 or 4.5 is fine. I guess it just comes down to whether I need that extra magnification up top, and whether the extra weight/size is worth it. </div></div>

Think about your "mil setting" in this case 10X & 14X...this is probably where your scope is gonna be set at when the most difficult shots your gonna take will be(yeah hunting will be open to instance). Only you can make that decision to know which meets your needs.

The TMR is great in my opinion....you can find the scope reticle's 1/2 way point and dial the magnification back down to around 5-7X and your half mil hash marks become 1 mil hash marks.</div></div>

He said they were both FFP.

I recommend the 4.5-14x M5 FFP. I feel the 3.5-10x FFP is not very use-able under 6x and in some cases 8x.

Mark_4_ER_T_4.5__4b985def51e37.jpg

Mike @ CST

I have a 3.5-10 SFP and a 4.5-14 FFP, my vote is for the 4.5-14. If you are going to be doing a lot of shooting from 0-99 yards get the 3.5. I think the 4.5-14 is better for anything 100 yards and over. Smart move going with FFP and MIL/MIL you will not regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wslowik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm building a good all-around rifle. Starting with a Remington 700 SPS tactical 20" bbl and putting it in a McMillan HTG stock. Using Badger bottom metal, base and rings. I need a scope now, and I can't decide between these two magnification-wise. Can anyone help me decide?

I like the 3.5-10 because I can get it lower and it's lighter and a little over 100 bucks cheaper. But I also like the idea of having the extra magnification and larger objective on the 4.5-14.

Also, I'm pretty much set on the TMR reticle, but should I be considering the mildot? It looks like the TMR is easier to use with the half mil marks.

Both scopes are mil/mil and FFP. Thanks for any input guys.

-Bill </div></div>
I have the 3.5-10. I bought it for the same reasons you listed. It works just fine, but I never take it off 10 power. The guy I shoot with has the 6-20, he usually has it from 14 to 17 power. When I shoot his gun I wish I had more magnification in my scope because I can spot my own shot better with his scope, especially at 600-1000 yards.

I would go with the 4.5-14 FFP M5 and definatly get the TMR reticle.