• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can't decide on March 3-24x52 or the 3-24x42

EscapeVelocity

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Zanesville, Ohio
I'm about to let loose on one of these options. Of course like all my decisions, I read and re-read just about all the comments on this forum comparing the two. I've had input already from a member that was very helpful. Lowlight did a good review on the 52 version, and seems to be the consensus on what others have found with it having better low light capability and that it's easier to get behind. My goal (like perhaps many of us have) is to have the best all around optic. So for me it's a hunting scope, an AR optic, or a precision bolt gun optic.

My questions boil down to these:

1: how drastic is the difference on eye box between the two? My shooting style is shooting steel matches, hunting, and general target use so not much PRS that might require a forgiving eyebox.
2: is the 42 really that dark or distorted on the higher end compared to the 52?

If it's just marginally better, I'm leaning towards the 42 for pure compactness. If I can swing the illumination that will be even better but not necessary.

I've spent some time with both, and converted everything to the 52mm. The 10mm increase on the objective is pretty negligible for size and weight, but noticeable for FOV and brightness at higher mag. Unless you need the 42mm to mount really low, I would say the 52mm is a better scope.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
I've spent some time with both, and converted everything to the 52mm. The 10mm increase on the objective is pretty negligible for size and weight, but noticeable for FOV and brightness at higher mag. Unless you need the 42mm to mount really low, I would say the 52mm is a better scope.
Was the 42 really that picky to get behind? I'm starting to lean to the 52 as there really is less justification for the smaller 42 other than the way it looks for me...

I decided on the 52mm version and spent some time behind it. Definitely glad I chose this over the 42. The eyebox is still somewhat picky, so I can't imagine the 42 that's worst. I still consider this a very compact scope as well so I felt like you all steered me in the right direction. The 52 is worth the larger profile after having it in person, to know it's not a large scope by any stretch with improved eyebox and light gathering. The thing that's my favorite so far are the turrets. Fantastic in both size and feel.

Thanks for the update EV, I think you'll really like the scope and all it has to offer! I'd like another but am waiting for a new reticle, we'll see...