• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cant decide which ar10 platform

mese341

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2013
Duluth,Mn
So here in the next 6 months or so I am going to be looking for an ar10 style of rifle I know I am looking at a 18"+ barrel length and either 7.62 or 6.5 creed and I shoot weekly anywhere from 300 to 600 yards I mainly shoot my 6mm cm and 223ai bolt guns but want a gas gun my budget is 5k for gun and scope I am leaning towards a gap10,repr or predaobr for the rifle any suggestions are appreciated

Reactions: Lynn313
Order from Seekins the builders kit and it’ll be ready in 6 months. Get a Proof CF barrel from Front Range Precision on here. It’ll be available now or in a couple weeks probably. Or whatever barre you want. Start buying what trigger, stock, and other parts you want and have a badass custom gun.

I don't care if I have to wait and I don't really care about weight cause I shoot off a bench or tripod and I have a 400 yard range that I don't have to leave my house to shoot

Nothing wrong with those choices, but they are pretty dated. PredatOBR was all the rage in what, like 2002? GAP10 a few years later. If I had a 5K budget for a precision AR-10, it would be a JP Enterprises and a Leupold Mark 5HD 3.8-18.
I haven't used an AR platform for awhile

F71666C2-0983-4921-BE83-499E7FC27BB2.jpeg

I’m biased. But the LRP-07 from JP Enterprises is an amazing rifle.

I am leaning towards the gap because then I can afford a nightforce also
They are basically the same price. I built one out on JP website similar to what I ended up buying from GAP and they were within like $200 of each other.

I would go for a JP, but I definitely would go .308 vs 6.5cm

308 ammo is half or less the cost of 6.5cm right now, and you can actually get it. There's no way I'd do anything but 308 in an AR10.
unless you have to shoot beyond .308 range, or you can't handle even moderate recoil, being able to shoot cheap m80 is awesome.
that said, i don't know how m80 runs out of these precision gas guns with faster twists than my scar 20s.

unless you have to shoot beyond .308 range, or you can't handle even moderate recoil, being able to shoot cheap m80 is awesome.
that said, i don't know how m80 runs out of these precision gas guns with faster twists than my scar 20s.

It will run in them, or it did in mine with no trouble. He's not going out to beyond .308 range so he said. If you are 1000 yds or in, a.308 is ideal imo.

Reactions: GhostFace
Grab this 20" ARMALITE A Series AR-10T. Add a NightForce and a few Lancer L7 mags and shoot the barrel out.
Call up Bartlein Barrels [before shooting the barrel out] for an ARMALITE AR-10 barrel with matched bolt for $750.
The ARMALITE factory bolt was designed properly from the get go, 1996. If you go 6.5CM, you won't have a worry.

You're a daisy if you don't.

Since Sep99, I've never not seen an ARMALITE AR-10T[20"-24" SS barrel] nor 10A4 [CM C-Lined]
that wasn't sub 0.5" @ 100yds with fodder that it liked with a booger picker that knew what to do.
And I have never seen one be a picky eater.

Best to you

Not sure where you’re located but here’s a Seekins that isn’t Retard priced.

Reactions: Kein Mitleid
I know a lot of people like to badmouth DPMS. But I've had this one for years, and it's never failed to perform. I've found there is more available as far as accessories and magazines with the DPMS platform of 7.62 AR's, than others. After many years, and well over 1,000 rounds downrange, it's been a very good choice. The only change I'm going to make is a scope, now that my eyes are getting older.

yiOkq5t.jpg

I know a lot of people like to badmouth DPMS. But I've had this one for years, and it's never failed to perform. I've found there is more available as far as accessories and magazines with the DPMS platform of 7.62 AR's, than others. After many years, and well over 1,000 rounds downrange, it's been a very good choice. The only change I'm going to make is a scope, now that my eyes are getting older.

yiOkq5t.jpg
DPMS is defunct.

I love my dpms lr g2, they are getting pretty collectable now too. I gave 1200 for mine 5 months ago used lightly. I was in my gunshop when a guy came in an traded it on 2 10mm glocks and as soon as he left i told them i wanted it. Its a good solid battle rifle.

I've had AR10s that I built, I've had POF/PWS/DPMS/LMT they were all decent. Right now I have a POF 20" and am selling it because I want to put the money towards an atv and don't shoot 308s much anymore.

Went down the M1A rabbit hole too, it's for sale as well. Great rifle if you live in Ca/Ny and can't have ARs. It's an old guy gun so it's all safe and fuzzy vs those scary AR15s.

Really anything you can get with a decent barrel and trigger will fill your needs so it's all the features you're after.

I am looking forward to ordering one the whole reason why I asked is because I have to go on disability because I have a very rare genetic disorder so I trying to treat myself

The 6.5 seems way more useful than the 7.62 in a ar10 for me. If I build one it will be a 6.5 with a 20-22" barrel.

The 6.5 seems way more useful than the 7.62 in a ar10 for me. If I build one it will be a 6.5 with a 20-22" barrel.

It's a better ballistics round and softer shooting (which is a big deal), but it's also very hard to find, more than double the cost of .308, and if you are shooting 1000 yds and in, a .308 can do anything a 6.5 cm can do, so I would say a .308 is a better choice for an AR-10. Of course, like everyone else, "it's like, just my opinion man"

My dad and I are going to be cutting a 400 yard shooting range that is 2 car widths wide and next year I hope to host some people for a gas gun type match

Reactions: theLBC
Defunct doesnt mean gone. They are around to be had if ya wanted to go that way.
Correct. There are still plenty of them around. Many of them are all but new. People buy them who don't reload, then soon realize they're too expensive to shoot.... Especially now. They're readily available on the used market.

It's a better ballistics round and softer shooting (which is a big deal), but it's also very hard to find, more than double the cost of .308, and if you are shooting 1000 yds and in, a .308 can do anything a 6.5 cm can do, so I would say a .308 is a better choice for an AR-10. Of course, like everyone else, "it's like, just my opinion man"

And .308 barrel life is considerably better

In .mil applications and for competitors, 6.5CM is clearly better. Both will be insensitive to rebarreling time and costs, both will appreciate the increased hit probability of 6.5 from 400-1000m.

Hunters and others will probably benefit from the better barrel life and ammunition availability of .308.

Not sure why I even replied as I’m basically just amplifying what you already said 😂

AR10s are a different animal than the AR15. Me, personally, wouldnt recommend building an AR10 if it’s your first one. There’s a moderately good chance you’ll be fucking with it to get it functioning properly. Numerous headaches that may be beyond your ability to correct.

within your budget you should be looking at the Seekins SP10, JP, and GAP10. In that order. I’d bet both my testicles the SP10 will shoot better than you can. Hence don’t waste more of your hard earned money on the JP and GAP. Use it for optics, mount, and training. Also in that order.

Maybe since you're in HI you haven't met many hunters. Here in the midwest 99 in 100 hunters aren't even aware that barrels wear out and need replacing. The 4 boxes of 6.5CM or 308 they bought with the rifle will last a lifetime.

Reactions: Bradu
Maybe since you're in HI you haven't met many hunters. Here in the midwest 99 in 100 hunters aren't even aware that barrels wear out and need replacing. The 4 boxes of 6.5CM or 308 they bought with the rifle will last a lifetime.
Haha so true lol I am in northern MN and most people I know shoot 3 shots a year lol but I shoot alot and reload so I always have barrels and components

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Same here in the south. Hunters that shoot a ton will shoot at most a box or 2 a year, most shoot less than a box/year. None have ever heard of replacing a barrel. You get funny looks from them when you tell them that you had to replace a shot out barrel.

I'll agree about ammo availability but barrel life doesn't really matter for most shooters unless they are using it like a carbine.
That does seem to be the sentiment in general. Speaking for myself, barrel life is a factor when I decide what to buy as a sort of "just in case it comes to matter at some point."

Maybe because you live in the Midwest you weren’t aware most shooters here came from elsewhere.

In any case, your reply was very nonspecific and I had no idea what you meant to communicate by “that’s funny” was “most hunters don’t shoot”. What I assumed you meant was “6.5CM barrel life isn’t bad relative to .308”

Lighten up Francis. I'm just tugging your nuts while simultaneously getting an easy jab in at Hunter Bob.

I have been waiting over a year for my LMT. 6 months isn’t a bad wait time....

Just get your order in for the rifle that you like the most. JP, Seekins, GAP, LMT, Knights, whatever you want you will probably be happy with. I would get your order in ASAP.

I have been waiting over a year for my LMT. 6 months isn’t a bad wait time....

Just get your order in for the rifle that you like the most. JP, Seekins, GAP, LMT, Knights, whatever you want you will probably be happy with. I would get your order in ASAP.
I can't order until I get my disability settlement

Reactions: Lynn313