• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can't get comfortable with a good sight picture

Elxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Tucson AZ
I have an SPS-V 308. SSx10 w/ low rings, the bolt barely clears the scope. I still don't feel natural/comfortable when I have a good sight picture.

When I close my eyes, shoulder the rifle(whether bench or prone), get in a good solid position, I open my eyes and my picture is half black. I lift my head a bit and bam, there it is. But I feel strained keeping that position. Am I suppose to work around that? Or is there something that could help? I see a lot of people with stock packs, would that do anything? Does that provide any height? I wanna kill this problem before thinking about getting a better stock.

Re: Can't get comfortable with a good sight picture

A stock pack will give you a little rise, more can be added to the bottom side of it if necessary. Also, most custom stocks have higher combs or adjustable cheek pieces that will remedy this. It is not something that you should try to overcome or suffer through. That will only make for inconsistent shooting.

I've got some of the dense pipe foam insulation duct taped to my stock and an Eagle stock pack over that. Play around till you find what you like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When I close my eyes, shoulder the rifle(whether bench or prone), get in a good solid position, I open my eyes and my picture is half black. I lift my head a bit and bam, there it is. But I feel strained keeping that position. Am I suppose to work around that? </div></div>

No you are not supposed to work around that. Get your cheekpiece higher with a stock pack or a Karsten cheekpiece. Like stated above, insulating foam (I like to gut a "v" into 1.5" round window foam and duct tape tight to stock under pack-layer if you have to) will work great.

Be careful making your cheek piece tall so that you do not make it wider. Wider will move your cheek further from the centerline of the rifle and force you to roll your head over to get a sight picture - which is also uncomfortable.

Thanks for the input. I'll look around to see what I have =)

I was hoping for these answers cause I was just cursing in my living room trying to squirm around in different positions looking for the perfect position.

spend the money on the karsten its solid if you build one you will still have alittle give plus spending the 65 dollars will save you twice as much in pain and misery making one ..
unless youre into that.
but its just my opinion

The Karsten is too wide for me on my 5R HSP stock with low rings and I now have holes in my stock. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cinosbus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Karsten is too wide for me on my 5R HSP stock with low rings and I now have holes in my stock. YMMV </div></div>
ok you mean the karsten is too wide for youre stock i assume ?
have you contacted karsten and explained it to him? he does make those on his own if youre off alittle maybe he can rig something to work for ya? dont know for sure just trying to help..

No, the profile that is created where my cheek contacts is too wide when compared to the profile of he top of the stock. This is just the nature of the part.

I'm another that dislikes wide round combs as I certainly tend to roll my head over. I try to hang my cheek bone on the comb for a consistent stockweld.

Heck you can take a ream of paper and some rubber bands to do some try fitting. Grab a stack of about 1/2" tall and rubber band them over the comb. Look and adjust. Get a number for your needed add then go make something.