• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cant get it lined up

LS6TT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
DFW, Texas
YHM free float barrel nut. i put it on and hand tighten then go to tighten to the next hole and it isnt happening.

removed it probably 20 times trying to get the timing down and just cant. any tips?

Re: cant get it lined up

VTAC barrel nuts can be the same way. With them, there are little teeth that stick out on the barrel nut that you can grind off once you are tight to allow the gas tube through, it kind of looks like a gear with the tube running through the valleys. If the YHM is a circular barrel nut with holes through, you could cut the web between the two closest holes with a dremel and a small cutter or a small round file (you would never see it when it's on). You would have to be careful, but I personally would not loosen it too much to line holes, and I wouldn't over torque it with the chance of twisting and damaging the upper.

I like to see adequate clearance. I don't like any tension on the gas tube.

thanks, i was actually considering just that, called a gunsmith local and asked if he could fit me in to get this done, first thing out of his mouth..is it a YHM barrel..lol..I said yes (i had only told him yhm free float tube), he said if i trust myself to just barrely knock off the edge on the barrel shoulder. he said to tq it to 50-65 even if YHM says 35. So i barely knocked some of the metal off the shoulder put it on tqd it to 55 and it lined up perfect...thank god i was getting frustrated.

Careful on tightening a YHM tube/barrel nut too much IIRC they are a cheap aluminum and can and will split and fuck up to where they are not useful any more.