• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cant get spring pin out of my Harris Bipod

swage2712

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2017
Picked up some Hawk Hill Talons to install on my Harris bipod. No matter how hard I hit the pin, it won't budge more than an eight of an inch.
Any ideas on how to get this pin out?

Stick it in the vice. Use whatever materials required to support it while forcing the pin through, a socket and a small punch of some sort.

Reactions: ImGomer
If your removing the feet use a roll pin punch

Reactions: DMP
I used a roll pin punch and some hard hits on a bench block to get those buggers out. Don't be afraid to go at it hard.

I used a roll pin punch and some hard hits on a bench block to get those buggers out. Don't be afraid to go at it hard.

They are very stubborn, switched over to talons last week. Those roll pins had me sweating!

Reactions: Genin
Like stated above, it takes some muscle. But it sure helps to have the right took, a roll pin punch. If you get them out without the tool, it is almost impossible to get them back in without a roll pin punch.

I tried using the supplied blocks and punch. I'll give it a shot with a roll pin punch. I've been guilty in the past of FUBAR'ing stuff by trying to muscle them. At this point I'm pissed. Break it or not, they're coming out.

Reactions: Genin
I cut a heavyish nail cut off about a 1/2” long and ground it flat and put it on one side of the cross pin in a vice. I then put a small socket on the other side. Close the vice around both sides and it will start that pin moving which seems to be the toughest part, breaking it loose. Once you get it close to closed down or the mail bottoms out on the leg back it off and throw the bipod leg in a glove or leather of some sort to cushion and protect it from the too-hard-vice jaws, close it in the vice where it is close to the pin so that there is not very much leverage on the leg since that rubber boot isn’t even and won’t apply presser evenly. Use a punch and hammer to drift it all the way through.

I have pinched the pin end closed to make it smaller but not so closed that you make it oblong and then I’ll run the pins outer edge over a grinder to chamfer it to make it easier to start/reinsert. Don’t deform it too much, just enough to close that 1/32” gap.

I tried using the supplied blocks and punch. I'll give it a shot with a roll pin punch. I've been guilty in the past of FUBAR'ing stuff by trying to muscle them. At this point I'm pissed. Break it or not, they're coming out.
Doing it with those little blocks and the supplied pin is a horror show.

I have two harris bipods, one with talons and the other with podmods. I want to swap them over but couldn't face doing it with the supplied tools.

I just ordered these on ebay:

I just did mine too. Wasn't easy. It was harder using the supplied blocks on the first one. Seemed easier the second time around without the blocks