• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cant make up my mind

army46

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
OCONUS
Iv been on the look for a long range semi automatic for a long time. the range i shoot goes out to 900m and would really like to have a rifle to use the range to its full extent. iv been looking at the lwrc repr but cant talk the wife into letting me spend that kind of money on a rifle. i would like to keep my price in the range of $2000 including glass. if anyone has any ideas for me please feel free to let me know.

Re: cant make up my mind

Under 2k for weapon and optic?

Dont take this the wrong way but, save up.

You get what you pay for and if your looking for a gasser and optic for out to 900 you need a good one of both.

i completely understand what your saying but im trying to get into long range competition with a group from my unit and would like to be ready by next season. i might even be able to go to $3000 including glass

+1000 on what KNIGHT11B4 said above. As you will see many times on the 'Hide; <span style="font-style: italic">buy once, cry once</span>. Save your cash until you can buy what you WANT instead of settling for what you can AFFORD right now. You'll be much happier with your purchase and will probably save money in the long run.

With $3000 it's doable but you're going to be on the low end of the spectrum for either the rifle or the glass. If you can get into a decent rifle for $2000, you could pick up a Vortex or Super Sniper for less than a grand.

thanks guys i this is the kind of stuff i need to hear even though its a huge want right now

at the moment its a bragging rights comp, but we are trying to include different NG units from around the state but its nothing official

i love the feel of an AR platform and am trying to keep my "muscle memory" with the weapon system i know you can find alot of nice bolts but i havent seen anything that has had that wow factor for me, if there was something out there that would do that im not apposed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might be able to get a used dpms and rebarrel it and a used nightforce for under 3k. </div></div>

Doing all of that for under $3000 is going to be a tall order if you're talking about having it rebarrelled with a good match grade barrel. A pre-owned NightForce will run you at least $1300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might be able to get a used dpms and rebarrel it and a used nightforce for under 3k. </div></div>

Doing all of that for under $3000 is going to be a tall order if you're talking about having it rebarrelled with a good match grade barrel. A pre-owned NightForce will run you at least $1300. </div></div>

Yeah it will depends on what you can get the rifle for. There's a ugly LR308 slickside with a jp trigger for sale for 800 locally. Using a price of 1300 for scope that's 2100 leaves 900 for a barrel and bipod.

Depends on what you want. GAP makes a fine rifle for 2600 and Fulton Armory has some nice rifles for 3k. You could do it cheaper but you really get what your paying for.

If you just want to get in the game, I say get a DPMS lr-308 with the 24" bbl for $1000 or an Armalite AR-10T 20" for $1400 and put a PST, SS 5-20 or used Night force. You can upgrade down the line when more funds are available. Make sure to get a good optic. I'd say that is more important than a match barrel. Both rifles out of the box will be moa if you have the technique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you just want to get in the game, I say get a DPMS lr-308 with the 24" bbl for $1000 or an Armalite AR-10T 20" for $1400 and put a PST, SS 5-20 or used Night force. You can upgrade down the line when more funds are available. Make sure to get a good optic. I'd say that is more important than a match barrel. Both rifles out of the box will be moa if you have the technique. </div></div>

I agree once you find a scope you like will probably end up keeping it for a long time and you can put it on other rifles.

With the money left over you can buy alot of ammo and a nice trigger to practice with. Once you think you have shot out the barrel you could rebarrel it with a match grade one.

What kind of targets are you shooting at?

we actually have a really nice set up with a few actuated pop up steel targets at close range "300,200,100" and after that its just 12" steel circle targets every 100 yards

I would liken this to a recent experience that I have been had.
My plan was to get an AI AE MkII this year, but I had to make several purchases this summer that basically made it impossible for me to spend $3600 on a new rifle (just the rifle). I contemplated buying the new Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD as an interim rifle. After doing the math with modifications and accessories specific to that rifle, I figured out that I was going to be spending over $1k on the rifle. Even then, I would still be wanting to upgrade rifles, and would still be trying to buy the AI next summer. I realized that I would be spending $1000 now on a rifle that would be sitting unused in the safe once I got the AI. Hence, that was $1000 that could be going towards getting the AI sooner. So, I opted to not spend the money and save up so that I could get the real rifle I wanted that much sooner. Now, whether I get an AI, or I decide to get something else like a Barrett or DTA is up in the air, but either way, I will get more benefit from saving my money.
Point being, if you foresee wanting to upgrade in the near future, it may be more worth your while to save and get exactly what you want instead of compromising and "settling" for something just for sake of being able to participate.
Just my thoughts, though.
smile.gif

thank you very much USACS and everyone else you are all right i should wait and find what is right for me. i cant find another rifle without comparing it to my dream weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bauer460</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank you very much USACS and everyone else you are all right i should wait and find what is right for me. i cant find another rifle without comparing it to my dream weapon.</div></div>
I certainly know how much it sucks to sit on the sidelines wishing you were in the game.
The fact that you keep comparing it to a dream weapon is enough to tell you that you should wait and keep exploring the field and saving to get exactly what you want. The wait also has the added benefit of allowing you to find out what else is available. A REPR is a good rifle, but maybe you will decide that the LaRue OBR or GAP-10 is more for you. Or maybe you will decide that you want to custom build a rifle of your own design. Whatever you decide, you are obligated to post pictures when you get the rifle.

haha... of course everyone deserves to see it. that goes with sitting on the side lines i get to see everyone elses new rifles when i get mine i will be sure to put the pictures on to show off my new child too. thanks again

With good glass you will go over $3000 but I would check into the Armalite SASS. It comes out of the box ready to rock with everything you need but glass for under $2500. When you consider all of the “furniture” it comes with it’s a pretty damn good deal. And not a bad rifle at all. You won’t be shooting rounds through the same hole at 1000m. But, and I am sure is the case, not many of us could do that with the best equipment on the planet.

Best chance for quality/price is to build your own. On the glass buy once cry once

I'd rather be shooting a "non-dream" rifle than sitting on the sidelines watching others have fun and getting zero trigger time. Get in the game and have your technique nailed down before you spend $3000 on a rifle you can't drive to it's full potential.

AGree with Hawk on this, for your price point you can get in the game, but you have to have the skills as well.....

In the past I would have taken that amount of money and bought a DPMS 308 and optic for 2k and had fun with not knowing any better. But, since I have been here reading for the last couple of years I have really learned the buy once/cry once scenario. If you get a rifle and don't FEEL it is good enough you will be forever trying to upgrade spending lots of money doing it - been there done that. You will also lose money if you get tired of it and sell it. It is liked a supped up car you never get out what you put into it because not ever once likes your choices.

Now if you spend the money and get a GAP or POF you will have only minor upgrades (if any) and should be happy with their performance.

Just my 2 cents.