• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can't seem to quite find the scope I want next...

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    I've been exploring the options available from different manufacturers a bit... but I can't quite seem to find what I (think I) want...

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Variable, in the 3-10x / 4-16x / 3-15x-ish range[*]External target knobs[*]First Focal Plane[*]Mil-dot based reticle (prefer one w/ hash marks over plain old circles/dots[*]Mil/cm based clicks[*]30mm (or bigger) main tube[*]Illuminated reticle [*]Parallax adjust - don't care that much whether side-focus or front A/O[*]40-44mm front objective... really don't want/need 50mm bell on the gun(s) I plan on mounting this scope on.[*]Price ceiling of $1k[/list]

It seems like there are a *lot* of scopes that come very, very close... but either have a 50mm bell or don't have adjustable parallax correction.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing some obvious contenders out there...

Thanks,

Monte

Re: Can't seem to quite find the scope I want next...

Hmmm... thats odd.

I'd seen the image shown [url = http://bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/eliteTactical/]here[/url] that looks like it should have illumination and side focus parallax adjust, but the image on the page for that particular [url = http://bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/eliteTactical/ET3124F/]model[/url] doesn't show the illumination controls? Thats why I guess I overlooked it.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Anything else? Only one scope filling that particular niche?

Roy,

No offense intended, but did you actually look at the list in the first post?

Monte

The Weaver tactical almost fits the bill. But they have moa adjustments.

You may have to compromise and sacrifice one of your requirements, as I for one am not aware of any scope that would fit your bill.

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP with EBR-1 MRAD reticle would be the closest (MIL/MIL, FFP, acceptable magnification range, good MilHash reticle, etc. etc) - but it has 50mm objective so it fails one of your long list of requirements.

<span style="font-style: italic">I must say I don't get this "no 50mm bells" thing. You may not <span style="text-decoration: underline">need</span> it, but it would hardly hurt your applications...?</span>

Is this 6mm difference a deal-breaker for you? If it is - keep looking. If not - you've found your scope.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Weaver tactical almost fits the bill. But they have moa adjustments. </div></div>

That's incorrect. The 3-15 FFP illuminated weaver tactical has mil adjustments. It's the non illuminated that has MOA adjustments.

Bushnell 3-12x44 Tactical is it for now... Here is hoping that SWFA is listening as they have before.

Redneck,
    I stand corrected.
    Thanks, I knew that I've seen that scope before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">I must say I don't get this "no 50mm bells" thing. You may not <span style="text-decoration: underline">need</span> it, but it would hardly hurt your applications...?</span> </div></div>

As with most things, it depends.

For my AR 'precision' carbine, yes. I've ran a 50mm tube on there in the not-so-recent past, and while yes, it works great, it just does not look/feel right to me. I don't want/need a baby Hubble roosting on top of my gas gun. Given the choice, I'd even wish for smaller (half-height) turrets to go with the smaller front objective.

For my 10PC-SR in .308 Win... I still really like to keep things low and tight if I could. I've had a 50mm tube on there recently, and again while it works, I'd rather have something smaller / more compact for this gun as well. As it is, the Bushnell 4200 3-12x42 SF mil/mil FFP and illuminated reticle sounds like just the ticket. Still wish the knobs were a little shorter...

The Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 mil/mil FFP w/ illuminated EDMR maybe finding a new home on my 12LRP in 6.5CM.

Honestly, I started out pretty excited about the Vortex Viper PST line, but after reading various reports and reviews, I started thinking the 2.5-10 (what I orginally thought I wanted) was not quite what I was looking for. The 4-16x50 FFP mil/mil w/ illum. EBR reticle is still right in there w/ the Weaver... but I've had a number of Weaver scopes over the years... only one of them has ever disappointed me at all, so I kind of have a soft spot for 'em
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may have to compromise and sacrifice one of your requirements, as I for one am not aware of any scope that would fit your bill.

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP with EBR-1 MRAD reticle would be the closest (MIL/MIL, FFP, acceptable magnification range, good MilHash reticle, etc. etc) - but it has 50mm objective so it fails one of your long list of requirements.

<span style="font-style: italic">I must say I don't get this "no 50mm bells" thing. You may not <span style="text-decoration: underline">need</span> it, but it would hardly hurt your applications...?</span>

Is this 6mm difference a deal-breaker for you? If it is - keep looking. If not - you've found your scope.
    smile.gif
    </div></div>
    The 2.5-10x44 falls sort of in his specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjgemm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell 3-12x44 Tactical is it for now... Here is hoping that SWFA is listening as they have before. </div></div>

My only complaint with the Bushnell 3-12 is the tight eyebox. On a AR where at times you'll be runnin and gunnin it might not be the best choice.I'm thinking about sending mine in for a check up because it seems to be getting worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChielScape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may have to compromise and sacrifice one of your requirements, as I for one am not aware of any scope that would fit your bill.

smile.gif
    </div></div>
    The 2.5-10x44 falls sort of in his specs.</div></div>
    Except that I don't think 2.5-10x44 is available with FFP. Luckily it's his problem, not mine.
    smile.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">For it it were me - I'd taken that PST FFP and use it happily ever after, except that I'd pick 6-25x50 model.
    grin.gif
    </span>