• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can't wait to sell my Leupold Mark5-HD

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had similar issues about 10 years ago and haven’t bought a Leupold since then. In fact, I wouldn’t use a Leupold if they gave me a brand new one, as the old saying goes. All of my hunting rifles have nightforce on them and Benchrest rifles don SB or nightforce depending on the application.

Reactions: deersniper
I had even worse problems. Mine had the reticle canted at 10 o'clock, elevation turret stem was stripped out. I immediately sent it back and luckily got a refund. Purchased a Nightforce Atacr 7-35x56 mil-c from scopelist at an unbelievable price. I love the scope.Tracking has a zero error rate ,glass is excellent. Will never purchase a Leupold again. I also just got a Made in Japan -Bushnell Tac-ops 6-24x50 G2 on clearance. I really like the scope , for what I paid I'm really impressed . A lot of scope for the money.

Please don't let this be true. I've had nothing but great luck with Leupy glass. Sure they are generally behind the curve with the newest features, but I know that my Mk4,6, and 8 glass is going to be reliable and that they have always stood behind their products.

Reactions: Winkmeister
I gotta vent, guys, skip this if you don't care.

I was having tracking and return-to-zero issues, like 4-5%, with my Mark5-HD 5-25 so I sent it in about five weeks ago. I just got it back and immediately attempted to validate the tracking as best I could -- weighted RRS tripod with VYCE clamped solidly on an old quad rail, scope gently but snugly mounted in its Spuhr mount. It became immediately obvious that the erector stops moving after about 5 mils up, even though as received it would dial up 22.0 mils. That's 17 mils of elevation that doesn't work. I hope they're not so buried in covid19 problems that they can't do it right the 2nd time so that I can sell it with a clean conscience.

My confidence in Leupold is shattered. If they sent a brand new one, I couldn't trust it. I'm pissed because I like the scope, the glass is incredibly clear, the scope is light, and I love the feel and operation of the elevation turret. Now I'm down a good scope for god knows how long.

<endRant>
I am using a Leupold Mark 5-HD 3-18. I wish it had more power, but no tracking problems.

I have always had good performance with Leupold. Don’t have a MK 5, but I have 3 single power MK4s, a MK6 (3-18), and a MK8 (3.5-25) and two deltas on pistols. All are fantastic. I have never had a problem that I didn’t cause except for one 24x fixed power I bought used at a flea market for $10. In humid weather, or going inside to out, it fogged up. Leupold fixed it free.

I have had Leupold service done 4 times in my life as I recall. First time was Almost 40 years ago when I was a young kid, opening day of hunting season, I dropped my dad’s prized high grade Remington 30-06 rifle and damaged the scope and mount (thank god the scope protected the rifle) Had to listen to him bitch for the 1 1/2 hour drive to Leupold’s business location in Beaverton, Or. Handed them the entire rifle with scope—an hour later, they handed back rifle, new mount, bore sighted and with a newer, more expensive scope—free. Saved my butt.

Next time, 20 years later, I took the brand new wife hunting for the first time—she didn’t want to get out of the truck “too cold she said”. As she sat in the passenger seat, I leaned rifle against the driver’s door while I geared up—then wife leans over and opens drivers side door. My 10x mk4 perfectly lands on the scope’s bell and the only big rock for 10 miles. Leupold replaced the damaged bell and did a full cleaning (Somehow got some minute scratches out of the objective as well)—free. I bought this scope used and was about 10 years in my Possession then .

My last service was my fault again—brand new MK8, brand new rifle. First time to zero, and I left scope instructions at home. Thought it was similar to MK6. Unscrewed set screw too far and “boing”—turret squeeze levers, ball bearing, and a spring went flying. I physically saw the ball bearing roll off the shooting bench into the gravel. I looked for hours and tried using a magnet and couldn’t find it. Thank god leupold had a 2 week turn-around time and free repair.

I have had excellent service from leupold and very quick return times. I can’t say the same for other scopes. I waited 7 months to get a Schmidt and Bender flashdot repaired (failed 3days after new) when the dot quit working. Had a Night Force NSX with a stripped turret knob that took several months to get back—and if memory serves—I got a bill.

Some high-end scopes have horrible warranties. Before I bought the MK8, I was considering Schmitt and Bender’s PMII. It only had a year or two and didn’t have a lifetime warranty as did the leupold (and after the 7month wait for my flashdot), the value wasn’t there.

I understand many people may have different experiences, but I hate to see a company, that in my experience has “done me right” for many, many years get bashed. As I said earlier, the OP was about a Mk5 (which I don’t own), but I can comment about the excellent service I have always received from Leupold.

Heard back from Leupold, they sent a shipping label to send it back, so we'll see what happens come late August / early September.

I forgot to post the videos! Apologies for the strugglebus with PhoneSkope, no idea how people get good video through scopes.

Did you disengage the elevation stop?

I have several of the M-8 1" scopes on varmint rifles. Called Leupold to have one worked on. I was told by Tech services that they don't even look at them any more. LIFE TIME WARRENTY :-(

I was having tracking and return-to-zero issues, like 4-5%, with my Mark5-HD 5-25 so I sent it in about five weeks ago. I just got it back and immediately attempted to validate the tracking as best I could -- weighted RRS tripod with VYCE clamped solidly on an old quad rail, scope gently but snugly mounted in its Spuhr mount. It became immediately obvious that the erector stops moving after about 5 mils up, even though as received it would dial up 22.0 mils. That's 17 mils of elevation that doesn't work. I hope they're not so buried in covid19 problems that they can't do it right the 2nd time so that I can sell it with a clean conscience.

My confidence in Leupold is shattered. If they sent a brand new one, I couldn't trust it. I'm pissed because I like the scope, the glass is incredibly clear, the scope is light, and I love the feel and operation of the elevation turret. Now I'm down a good scope for god knows how long.

<endRant>
that can be fixed easily without sending it in. A lot of ours have elevation set from the factory half way or less than the advertised full elevation travel. Most are set in the middle. Dial up loosen the screws. Slip turret down tighten screw. Repeat as much as needed until it hits Third rev.

<endRant>

I just come stumbled onto The Red Pill sub-Reddit - NeoGAF

someone saying bad things about Leupold???
My confidence in Leupold is shattered.

just kidding. I gave up on them long ago.

Last edited:
that can be fixed easily without sending it in. A lot of ours have elevation set from the factory half way or less than the advertised full elevation travel. Most are set in the middle. Dial up loosen the screws. Slip turret down tighten screw. Repeat as much as needed until it hits Third rev.
From the video it sounds like he's cranking on the turret but nothing is moving. If the turret was bottomed out it wouldn't click.

From the video it sounds like he's cranking on the turret but nothing is moving. If the turret was bottomed out it wouldn't click.
You’re right ignore my previous comment please. I didn’t read all the comments and missed the one with the video. “On this episode of that’s fucked up” That’s fucked up!
Back to leupy. I hope it works out op. Good luck!

Wow. When i started shooting back in the 90s, Leupold was the got to. The four in my safe from late 90s to early 2000s have been top notch. I haven't had the need for a new scope in over a decade. I just bought the rifleman mount for my 10/22 to upgrade and noticed it was made in Singapore. Singapore can teach us about consumer capitalism, but was dissapointed it wasn't made in the USA like Leupold likes to advertise. I was looking at their Rifleman 2-7 rimfire scope for a different .22lr, but now I am hesitant. It is for a backpack gun, so I was hoping to not spent too much on a scope.

Shit! I've never seen this ad, but feel like I've published the same sentiment a million times over multiple different forums.

I love it.

Haha, and the Vortex guys came out of the woodwork every single time to argue with you. ;)

Reactions: FALex
I got a BPS mk5 and already had to send it back for internal debris on the lens so L isn’t off to a good start for me either.

I had the same issue with my 7-35x. Sent it in to get serviced and haven't had any issues with it for 6 months so far

Leupold’s QA seems to have fallen in recent years. And with the various better brand and quality options out there, I haven’t bought any Leupold scopes in years. I am not even sure they are even competitive in this space nowadays.

Reactions: Darayavaus
I assume you mean {QC-quality control} and not [QA-questions and answers}.

Think about how many scopes Reupord makes. Millions right? Now, how many have you seen? 100k, 100, 10, 1? And what year of manufacture were the scopes you saw? How do you think you have any idea what their QC as a whole is like in any year or time frame? You sound like you are just trying to bash them in one of the most common ways we see people bash any manufacture they don't like, erroneous claims about QC.

Leupold’s QA seems to have fallen in recent years. And with the various better brand and quality options out there, I haven’t bought any Leupold scopes in years. I am not even sure they are even competitive in this space nowadays.

• Love
Reactions: Amanda4461
I assume you mean {QC-quality control} and not [QA-questions and answers}.

Think about how many scopes Reupord makes. Millions right? Now, how many have you seen? 100k, 100, 10, 1? And what year of manufacture were the scopes you saw? How do you think you have any idea what their QC as a whole is like in any year or time frame? You sound like you are just trying to bash them in one of the most common ways we see people bash any manufacture they don't like, erroneous claims about QC.
Yeah, I meant QC, quality control. I agree that the above is only my opinion. I can only vote with my wallet. In the past year and a half, I bought new a NF 7-35, a SB PM2, and 2 Minox ZP5. In all the discussions, I never considered another Leupold.

No interest in bashing any brand. Feel free to go thru all of my previous posts and see if I am a basher. I post my opinions and vote with my wallet.

Reactions: Darayavaus
Haha, and the Vortex guys came out of the woodwork every single time to argue with you. ;)

They can say whatever they like, but you get no arguing with me. All I have to offer are my numerous personal experiences, as well as, the numerous experiences I have personally viewed...kind of like the guy who's PST 2 elevation turret sheered clean off during that match we were at last year. I've shot lots of different optics, even held onto a few, never had an inkling of an issue out of any of them except one Bushnell DMR that they rectified without much fanfare.

ETA - I did want to add that I am quasi-bummed by the multiple reports of individuals having issues with their Mk5's. I haven't used one, but I've handled a few. The couple I handled appeared to be pretty decent optics, but there's just a lot of negative reports and this is not a line of optics that have been out for an extended period of time. I guess time will tell...

I have always had good performance with Leupold. Don’t have a MK 5, but I have 3 single power MK4s, a MK6 (3-18), and a MK8 (3.5-25) and two deltas on pistols. All are fantastic. I have never had a problem that I didn’t cause except for one 24x fixed power I bought used at a flea market for $10. In humid weather, or going inside to out, it fogged up. Leupold fixed it free.

I have had Leupold service done 4 times in my life as I recall. First time was Almost 40 years ago when I was a young kid, opening day of hunting season, I dropped my dad’s prized high grade Remington 30-06 rifle and damaged the scope and mount (thank god the scope protected the rifle) Had to listen to him bitch for the 1 1/2 hour drive to Leupold’s business location in Beaverton, Or. Handed them the entire rifle with scope—an hour later, they handed back rifle, new mount, bore sighted and with a newer, more expensive scope—free. Saved my butt.

Next time, 20 years later, I took the brand new wife hunting for the first time—she didn’t want to get out of the truck “too cold she said”. As she sat in the passenger seat, I leaned rifle against the driver’s door while I geared up—then wife leans over and opens drivers side door. My 10x mk4 perfectly lands on the scope’s bell and the only big rock for 10 miles. Leupold replaced the damaged bell and did a full cleaning (Somehow got some minute scratches out of the objective as well)—free. I bought this scope used and was about 10 years in my Possession then .

My last service was my fault again—brand new MK8, brand new rifle. First time to zero, and I left scope instructions at home. Thought it was similar to MK6. Unscrewed set screw too far and “boing”—turret squeeze levers, ball bearing, and a spring went flying. I physically saw the ball bearing roll off the shooting bench into the gravel. I looked for hours and tried using a magnet and couldn’t find it. Thank god leupold had a 2 week turn-around time and free repair.

I have had excellent service from leupold and very quick return times. I can’t say the same for other scopes. I waited 7 months to get a Schmidt and Bender flashdot repaired (failed 3days after new) when the dot quit working. Had a Night Force NSX with a stripped turret knob that took several months to get back—and if memory serves—I got a bill.

Some high-end scopes have horrible warranties. Before I bought the MK8, I was considering Schmitt and Bender’s PMII. It only had a year or two and didn’t have a lifetime warranty as did the leupold (and after the 7month wait for my flashdot), the value wasn’t there.

I understand many people may have different experiences, but I hate to see a company, that in my experience has “done me right” for many, many years get bashed. As I said earlier, the OP was about a Mk5 (which I don’t own), but I can comment about the excellent service I have always received from Leupold.
You would also like Vortex.

I would rather not pay for everyone else’s f ups. All the other people that buy Leupold are paying for all those “free” repairs

I have several of the M-8 1" scopes on varmint rifles. Called Leupold to have one worked on. I was told by Tech services that they don't even look at them any more. LIFE TIME WARRENTY :-(

Lifetime warranty doesn't mean what people believe it does. Lifetime of product, not your lifetime.

Lifetime of product= so long as produced and or parts available. Typically the language is "limited lifetime"

Lifetime warranty doesn't mean what people believe it does. Lifetime of product, not your lifetime.

Lifetime of product= so long as produced and or parts available. Typically the language is "limited lifetime"
In Reupord's defense they will send back a newer version of whatever obsolete, broken junk gets sent in. So if your old generation Japanese glassed Vari-X scope takes a crap, you'll get a shiny new Chicom one which is so light that you have to wonder if they are using real glass or plastic for the lenses. And with their image "quality", I'm guessing it's plastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Both of my Mk5's have been flawless for the two years that I've been using them, hundreds and hundreds of big magnum rounds fired beneath them.
Wish I could say the same for my new Razor AMG, it's about to go back for the second time and I've only had the piece of shit for 3 months!!! I'm having serious buyers remorse

Both of my Mk5's have been flawless for the two years that I've been using them, hundreds and hundreds of big magnum rounds fired beneath them.
Wish I could say the same for my new Razor AMG, it's about to go back for the second time and I've only had the piece of shit for 3 months!!! I'm having serious buyers remorse

What was the issue?

Just received mine back from “repair” and to my surprise, the internal debris/black speck is still present! It’s obvious they didn’t visually inspect it before sending it back.

Called CS again and they are emailing a return label this time. Absolutely ridiculous.

What was the issue?
Parallax knob started grinding and it won't focus, the exact same issue twice and I've shot less than 100 rounds with it.
I called vortex this morning cuz I'm feeling super shitty about the apparent unreliability if the AMG.
They're sending me a full refund! Very cool of them

I had to send mine in because of a bad glare on the ocular end. Never even got to shoot it. Hopefully that won’t happen to me.

Are there known quality issues with the Mk5 3.6-18 stemming from Chinese components? I’m considering one for my LMT MWS 6.5 CM and don’t want to be stuck with an optic constantly being sent in for warranty.

I paid $3k each for two gen 2 Khales k624i’s and promptly had to send one back to Austria because it wouldn’t track for doodie. It was gone for about 3 months as I recall. With all the stuff going on in our country I’m more likely, not less likely to go with an American based company. BTW, how much of Leupold stuff is made here vs China?

3 months??? Dang that’s too much.

How does he get his eyes to do that? I tried, can't do it.

He looked through some of the early XTRII's for too long. :poop: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I have no idea what possessed them to put the windage 0 mark where they did. The windage turret is not a big deal to me, i usually zero it and leave it alone.