• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can't zero scope. Is it defective or am I? NX8

fluwoebers

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2012
My rifle shoots about 6 feet high at 100M. It can't adjust elevation any lower.
I thought there might be something mis adjusted in the zero stop, so I loosened it up all the way and cranked it as far as I could. I broke the retainer cap.
Night Force repaired it for me and sent it back. They said there is nothing mechanically wrong with the scope and couldn't guess why I can't zero it.

I mounted the scope again, and issue appears to persist.

NX8 2.5-20 x 50 F1
30 MOA mount

The reticle below is shown at 50M, on 8x. The red dot is the bore sight laser.

reticle.jpg
Mount.jpg

Do you have another optic to mount and see where that adjusts in relation to your bore sight laser?

Did you have another optic on this rifle previously?

Reactions: BurtG and simonp
I just pulled a scope off an old hunting rifle. I'll see if the problem replicates on a different scope.
The rifle and optic are both new.

I had a NF scope do that me once, I took off the top cap and screwed the middle screw down or up, I can't remember but it fixed it...never had a problem with it after that

I don't have any way to verify that it's actually 30 MOA, but it was advertised as such.
Maybe I need to try a flat rail.

I just tried another scope. Same issue.

My scope doesn't have a center screw. Its a permanent cap in the middle between the 4 set screws.

I don't have any way to verify that it's actually 30 MOA, but it was advertised as such.
Maybe I need to try a flat rail.

I just tried another scope. Same issue.

My scope doesn't have a center screw. Its a permanent cap in the middle between the 4 set screws.
Before you get wrapped too far around the axle consider that the issue may be the laser bore sight.

Try putting a yard stick or marked wood/cardboard etc. at a precisely measured distance. Secure the rifle or optic alone as best you can and run the elevation on the scope from top to bottom. Record the measured travel on your yard stick and convert it to mils (It looks like a mil turret). Is the recorded adjustment close to the rated 32 mils? (Ex; @25 yards, 29" of travel=32.22 mils) If so it's not the scope at fault.

Reactions: CS95
Before you get wrapped too far around the axle consider that the issue may be the laser bore sight.

Try putting a yard stick or marked wood/cardboard etc. at a precisely measured distance. Secure the rifle or optic alone as best you can and run the elevation on the scope from top to bottom. Record the measured travel on your yard stick and convert it to mils (It looks like a mil turret). Is the recorded adjustment close to the rated 32 mils? (Ex; @25 yards, 29" of travel=32.22 mils) If so it's not the scope at fault.
He did say it’s shooting 6ft high at 100

He did say it’s shooting 6ft high at 100
The last guy I helped here with the exact same symptoms was dialing his scope the wrong direction.
If his laser is pointing wrong he's likely adjusting based on misleading info.

Is there any chance you also have cant built into the rings? Are they the same height?

As for determining if that is a 30 MOA rail…measure it’s thickness in 2 places. Subtract the short thickness from the long thickness. Now divide that number by the distance between the 2 places you measured. It that number is 0.0087, then it’s a 30 MOA rail.

Attachments

• IMG_6372.jpeg
    IMG_6372.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: ricer2
they do put those scopes in a fixture and verify travel and optical zero, so unlikely the scope is that far off, but anything is possible.
I would swap rings around just as a test,
Also that rail does look quite different, but 700 clones are that way sometimes.
What is the action make and model?
Model of rail?

Also, the zero stop sometimes is out of adjustment, try loosening the zero stop ring and thread it all the way up, then you should have max travel of the scope to get zeroed.

I just ordered a new rail from optics planet. Leupold 0 MOA.

The rail is Area 419. I can't find my caliper, but as I examined it closer, it says 20 MOA on it (sorry. Its been a long time since I built this thing.)

The receiver is a Defiance Tenacity from Gunware. The rings are Night Force.

@fluwoebers I think I see the problem, that rail is for a 700 style action. The top back of the receiver on a rem 700 is lower than the front by a small amount. That rail looks bent slightly if I pull up the pic on the computer and snap some lines.

If you ordered one from leupold for a rem 700 it will have the same problem.

Defiance tenacity can come with a rail that pins in place I believe.
And the defiance tenacity action is the same exact plane all along the top of the action.

I don’t know what rail you need, but I’m sure someone can recommend the correct one.

Reactions: R_A_W
You're using a standard Rem700 scope base.
You need a scope base made for Defiance actions. The FOOTprint is a 700 clone, the top is not. I almost went through the same thing until I noticed the rear of the scope base wasn't matching up to the receiver all the way around.
I got one from this guy for my AnTi action.
His shop is less than 5 minutes from my house so I stopped by to pick up a titanium base, because, why not.

Just buy Burris Signature XTR rings and it should correct the problem by putting the 20 moa shim lower saddle up front and the 10 shim upper saddle in the rear opposite of the front to raise it. Burris Signature XTR rings can really fix all kinds of POI issues. Best of all they will never leave a single mark on your scope tube and keeps that scope looking brand new as though it's never been mounted.

You could also try and use a thin washer or shim material in between the bottom of the FRONT of the base for a cheap fix.

• Haha
Reactions: Aftermath
I had a similar problem one time. I had a 20 minute mount that I put on a 20 minute rail. Could not get it zeroed until I got rid of the mount and used a set of rings.

It looks like we're getting close to solving this. Thank you all for your input.
I'll try the 0 MOA rail first. If that doesn't do the trick, there are some other good suggestions here to try.

It looks like we're getting close to solving this. Thank you all for your input.
I'll try the 0 MOA rail first. If that doesn't do the trick, there are some other good suggestions here to try.

Defiance includes a rail with their actions for a reason. Call them and spend the $99 on their pinned rail to make it right.

Defiance includes a rail with their actions for a reason. Call them and spend the $99 on their pinned rail to make it right.
I’m sure there is some good reason they make their receivers with non-standard heights, but I was not aware of it when I bought it.
I’m trying to keep the weight down as this will be my hunting rifle, and their rails are quite heavy. If nothing else works, I will try their rail.

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG
It looks like we're getting close to solving this

Lmao it was solved, but you’re ignoring the solution

I don’t know why you would try another 700-specific rail, that Leupold will have the exact same problem.

You could also try and use a thin washer or shim material in between the bottom of the FRONT of the base for a cheap fix.
definitely not this

Edit
Defiance makes an aluminum one that is about 1.5oz
Here is an aluminum aftermarket if you can’t find a Defiance in stock

Last edited:
Holy shit.
A standard 700 rail WILL NOT WORK.
You need a Defiance compatible rail. If you're worried about weight, get the titanium rail from Murphy's. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: wade2big and BurtG
I’m sure there is some good reason they make their receivers with non-standard heights, but I was not aware of it when I bought it.
I’m trying to keep the weight down as this will be my hunting rifle, and their rails are quite heavy. If nothing else works, I will try their rail.

So call Talley and get an aluminum one (I'm 99% sure they make them for defiance anyways).

It's like you're ignoring all the correct things in order to chase your dreams of using the wrong parts.

If you really want to save weight just order the rings. Lose the base altogether. (That is, if you're eye relief will allow it to work with the short tubes on the nx8.)

Reactions: M77
Lmao it was solved, but you’re ignoring the solution

I don’t know why you would try another 700-specific rail, that Leupold will have the exact same problem.

definitely not this

Edit
Defiance makes an aluminum one that is about 1.5oz
Here is an aluminum aftermarket if you can’t find a Defiance in stock
Thanks for the link. I just ordered it. I'm confident that this will solve the problem. I wish I had realized 1 day sooner that defiance actions are not the same as Remington 700; I could have avoided the need to return the Leopold I ordered.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm not super familiar with the culture on this forum.

Thanks for the link. I just ordered it. I'm confident that this will solve the problem. I wish I had realized 1 day sooner that defiance actions are not the same as Remington 700; I could have avoided the need to return the Leopold I ordered.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm not super familiar with the culture on this forum.
No problem man. How it works here is things are pretty civilized outside of the Bear Bit forum.

People ask nice questions and receive thoughtful responses. Usually.

When the questioner ignores the proffered advice, things can get snarky quickly. Sort of like a bar fight lol

In your case it seemed like you were hard-headed. Turns out you weren’t.

All is well.

The receiver is a Defiance Tenacity from Gunware.
I’m just curious where the scope base that came with the action disappeared to. You shouldn’t have had to buy a rail period, it comes with one.
Call who you bought it from and ask “what the fuck?”

Reactions: BurtG
B13F26B3-9DA5-4216-AA95-A54CDE78563A.gif

I’m just curious where the scope base that came with the action disappeared to. You shouldn’t have had to buy a rail period, it comes with one.
Call who you bought it from and ask “what the fuck?”
They sell them without rails too