• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Canted reticle problem, what to do????

Jimmy2Times

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2005
Amesbury, Massachusetts
OK, let me start off by saying that the purpose of this thread is not to debate or bash Leupold. I personally own 3 Leupold MKIV's and have never, ever had a single problem with any of them.

Now to the problem. I got a loaner scope (Leupold MKIV M1) that a friend graciously lent me while I wait for my USO to get here. When he gave me the scope, it was in an ARMs QD mount. As I had not yet received my rings, I left it in the ARMs QD mount. After mounting it to my rifle and looking through the scope, I noticed the reticle was canted about 5 degrees. I leveled the reticle and never really gave it a second thought. Today, my rings came in and I took the scope out of the ARMs mount, and mounted it to my rifle. I leveled the scope using the feeler gauge method, then check the level with a speed square. I then looked through the scope and low and behold, that very same cant was back again!!! This scope has a serious cant issue. So, my question is, do I square the scope body to the rifle and live with the cant, or do I square the reticle to the rifle and have the scope look fucked up on the rifle? I know the right thing to do is to send the scope back and get it fixed, but that will be up to my friend who owns it.

Thanks, as always, for your insight.

Re: Canted reticle problem, what to do????

level and sandbag the rifle so it does not move. set a 1 inch graduated and leveled target out at a 100 yards using your elevation only attempt (without moving rifle) scale the target from top to bottom and see if you draw a straight line up and down the target. If not adjust (turn clockwise or counterclockwise) until you can. that is all that matters. You will also discover if your scope tracks properly and accurately.

Make sure your base is level on the receiver if not bed it so it is. Then level the scope by a plumb line or something you know is level, like a corner of a brick wall. After the scope is mounted adj the elevation turret to the bottom and set the cross hair at the bottom of the plumb line and adjust the turret up slowly and run the plumb line. If it runs the line straight you shouldn't have a problem.

GC

You can try as mentioned above, but if the reticle is not true to the path of the erector, you'll have to hold the reticle canted when shooting. Its not very natural or quick to do it that way. And it sucks when having to holdoff for anything.

I think you guys are missing my question. I'm not asking how to level the reticle. The reticle is canted, and not square to the scope. So my question is, is it better to sqaure the scope to the rifle (and end up with a canted reticle) or square the reticle to the rifle (and end up with a canted scope)? I would expect the right answer is to make sure the reticle is squared to the rifle, I just wanted to see what the experts had to say.

Let's make sure the problem is with the scope. The turret housing should be square to the reticle, as should the elevation knob. Remove the external elevation knob, then place the scopes turret housing on a level surface. Check with a level on the scope knob. Place a plumb line at least 30+ yards away so you can focus on it, the reticle should be square to that. If not, it needs to go back for repair. If it's square, then the mount / rings have a problem. It's quite possible to put enough torque on the scope with a bad ring / base setup to twist the scope out of square.

What is so hard about sending it back to Leupold? They fix it free no questions asked? Your question is like asking if I should put 80 weight oil in my two week old car because it has a loose connecting rod.

I understand your problem...its a leupold. (I kid, I kid
smile.gif
) But before I even clicked on the thread I knew it was going to be a loopy.

Depending on the type of shooting you're going to be doing, I'd level the reticle. Adjust it at 100 yards and see how much horizontal you get over an adjustment range of say 40 MOA vertically. Then just adjust accordingly. That way at least your holds and such on the reticle will be good, and you'll be able to look through the scope without a canted reticle throwing you off.

ETA: Like Cory said, if you have an external level, you could always level the turrets. For me a canted reticle would kill me as I hold for wind all the time.

If the reticle is indeed canted in the scope, square the turret to the rifle. That will insure that elevation adjustments go straight up and down. You'll need an external level to make sure you have the rifle level, since the tendency is to square the crosshairs to the target.

You can check that by a box test. You'll need a backer about 18" x 30". At a 100 yard range, shoot a three round group, using a paster about 2" up and in from the lower right corner. Using the same point of aim, dial up 20 MOA and shoot three more, then do the same thing with left 10, down 20 and right 10.

The result should be a rectangle approx 20.5" x 10.5", with six shots on your original POA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is so hard about sending it back to Leupold? They fix it free no questions asked? Your question is like asking if I should put 80 weight oil in my two week old car because it has a loose connecting rod. </div></div>

Read the goddamn post, I already covered that. It's not my scope.

Thanks for your helpful and insightful response.

This is for others who might read this post and have the same problem.

Level it by a plumb line and them check it by running the line. That's a good way to find out for sure if you have a problem.

The turret can be off that's why you should level a reticle by the turret.

GC

Must have overcomplicated my answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">level and sandbag the rifle so it does not move. set a 1 inch graduated and leveled target out at a 100 yards using your elevation only attempt (without moving rifle) scale the target from top to bottom and see if you draw a straight line up and down the target. If not adjust (turn clockwise or counterclockwise) until you can. that is all that matters. You will also discover if your scope tracks properly and accurately. </div></div>

I don't borrow a scope with a problem to test a rifle. I'd rather go down to Wally World and buy a $200 Tasco, at least the crosshairs are straight. But then again I don't buy 89 cent a quart oil for my Magnum.

e7e23BGEKGrHgoOKkMEjlLmTphBKKwSrOqg.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't borrow a scope with a problem to test a rifle. I'd rather go down to Wally World and buy a $200 Tasco, at least the crosshairs are straight. But then again I don't buy 89 cent a quart oil for my Magnum. </div></div>

Seriously? Do you think he knew the scope had a problem before he borrowed it?

Leupold wouldn't "fix" it anyway because to them it is not "broken".

<span style="font-weight: bold">Jimmy2Times</span>, CoryT is on the money with his recommendations. No good for holds when canted, but your reticle needs to track true with the turrets if they're to be any use at all.

Thanks Brain.

Oh and, Mr Humble, that's Ok because I wouldn't take advice from somebody that drove a flaming queermobile such as that. And I don't care what it's got under the hood. Those cars are powerful gay, end of story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Jimmy2Times</span>, CoryT is on the money with his recommendations. No good for holds when canted, but your reticle needs to track true with the turrets if they're to be any use at all.

</div></div>

This is true, unless you know how much horizontal movement you're getting. If you know that it moves, say, 1 MOA right for every 10 MOA up elevation, then you can correct accordingly. If you're just going to be shooting from a bench, or prone for that matter, but not under match or timed conditions, then square the turrets. You have time to look at the level, dial whatever you need, and fiddle with getting things straight. If you're going to be competing and time is a concern, I'd level the reticle. Its faster, more natural to line up, and holds are on. Although, I don't know if competing with that scope would be a good idea in its current state, LOL. Good luck with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

If you're going to be competing and time is a concern, I'd level the reticle. Its faster, more natural to line up, and holds are on. Although, I don't know if competing with that scope would be a good idea in its current state, LOL. Good luck with it. </div></div>

No, just looking to get some trigger time with the new stick and do some load development while I wait for my scope to come in. Thanks again for the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After mounting it to my rifle and looking through the scope, I noticed the reticle was canted about 5 degrees. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I then looked through the scope and low and behold, that very same cant was back again!!!</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This scope has a serious cant issue.</div></div>

Jimmy,

A canted reticule is one thing, but when the cant is variable as indicated by your fist post, the scope is actually "broke" not just "badly assembled"

Plus if something is "loose" (and it must be if its moving) the damn thing may break compeletly when subjected to recoil, which is not what you want on a borrowed scope..

Personally, I don't see the point in shooting a scope with a known problem...If you get any "strange results" you won't know if its you, the new rifle or the scope...

Why not have a chat with your mate and offer to send the scope back on his behalf? Seeing as he was good enough to borrow it you, it would be a nice gesture on your part..

Regards,

Peter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Brain.

Oh and, Mr Humble, that's Ok because I wouldn't take advice from somebody that drove a flaming queermobile such as that. And I don't care what it's got under the hood. Those cars are powerful gay, end of story. </div></div>

My wife said her friends have those station waggons and can fit a lot of groceries as well as a few car seats. Personally I think they are raw faggotry.

Yup I love blowing off wannabes in 2WD Mustang GTs on our curvy roads. Guess you cant get a Stang with computer controlled AWD.
If I had the bucks, I'd get the new Audi V 12 twin turbo diesel wagon that looks like a 7/8s size Magnum and has 500+ HP and 700+ ft lbs of torque. A real faggot car especially here at 7000-10,000'. Of course it would be RED and AWD too. Sad to say they are speed limited to 160 mph.

BTW, very bad idea to call anyone in WY a faggot to his face.

2008_Audi_A6_ext_1.jpg

thought you were in FL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thought you were in FL </div></div>

He's gotta be. Everyone knows manicured lawns don't exist in WY.

BTW, who cares what you drive?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup I love blowing off wannabes in 2WD Mustang GTs on our curvy roads.
</div></div>

I'm sure its no coincidence that you're not "blowing off wannabes" on <span style="font-style: italic">straight</span> roads.

Anyone can drive on a straight road and I'm not even sure a stock 05' Stang GT could outrun me.

Unlike some, I am free to travel where I want. I don't do WY when it's 35 below nor FL when those pesky hurricanes are in season.

Of course I can understand why one would never want to leave McKinney Texas.
At 1853 hours it was a balmy Temperature: 98.1 F (36.7 C)
62F clear and sunny here.

It would also be unwise to call gay people in Key West faggots to their faces. I'm sure you've never met the Key West girls flag football team (yes they are about 50% gay), but they could kick your butt to Key Largo and back and never break a sweat. One wonders what the per capita gay population of DFW area is vs Key West?

Come on down for Fantasy Fest you might even get a date!.

brandnew.jpg

But we are way off subject so, it's time to let the poor man get a scope that works right. Agree?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unlike some, I am free to travel where I want. I don't do WY when it's 35 below nor FL when those pesky hurricanes are in season.

Of course I can understand why one would never want to leave McKinney Texas.
At 1853 hours it was a balmy Temperature: 98.1 F (36.7 C)
62F clear and sunny here.

It would also be unwise to call gay people in Key West faggots to their faces. I'm sure you've never met the Key West girls flag football team (yes they are about 50% gay), but they could kick your butt to Key Largo and back and never break a sweat. One wonders what the per capita gay population of DFW area is vs Key West?

Come on down for Fantasy Fest you might even get a date!.

brandnew.jpg

But we are way off subject so, it's time to let the poor man get a scope that works right. Agree? </div></div>

I said I thought you lived in FL and now you warn me about calling people faggots in Key West? And you are inquiring about gays in DFW?

I'm done with my work reports. I'll see what ever rambling retort you have to this in the morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BTW, very bad idea to call anyone in WY a faggot to his face.

</div></div>

I'm 275 and bench press 375 freeweight unassisted. I pretty much say whatever I want, to who ever I want.

cause he's a bad mutha fucka. lol. you guys crack me up.

Wow, its been a while since I have seen a "I am badder than you" thread. Funny. Guys, this is the wrong forum to start measuring dicks, ya never know who the guy on the other end is or what he has done/learned/trained.

J2T, to the original question, If you plan to dail, level the scope body and deal with a canted reticle. If you plan to hold, level the reticle and deal with a canted scope body. Unfortunately, you will not effectively be able to do both.

Either way you will need a plumb bob. Either to plumb the reticle line or make sure the crosshair tracks with the line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One wonders what the per capita gay population of DFW area is vs Key West?</div></div>

Just a guess but probably not near enough for your liking but still enough to fill every seat in your sweet little station wagon.

If you shave everything, you're welcome to come for a ride big boy!

I gotta get more suds and popcorn!