• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Canted trigger in 700 action...

justinbaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
new mexico
this is brand new never fired 700 varmint 308 barreled action. I bought it in november in hope to get my dad into the long range game.

not the triggers fault, as iv installed 2 different xmarks and they both look the same.

its as if the lug is not square with the rest of the action. so it caused the trigger to sit to one side in the stock

anyways here are the pics

IMG_20130222_215721_zps0b1aa0c2.jpg

20130222_215118_zps861823e3.jpg

20130222_215041_zps3fd94c62.jpg

im not a gunsmith, so i dont have the ability to fix this myself. im sure remington will fix it, but i also dont want to be without the gun for a long time. anyone know how long it would take remington to fix?

or should i just take it to my local smith (Score Hi)

install the action screws and see how everything lines up. It's most likely the lug but it's possible that the pin holes aren't located properly...in this case, I'd have Remington fix/replace the rifle.

having a lug twist when the barrel is torqued isn't uncommon. The fix, if that's the issue, is to have the lug pinned. I wouldn't send it to Remington, I'd just call a smith and have them do it...just find one locally.

Put the long action screw in the front action hole and take another pic, that shot should answer some questions. If the lug needs repositioned its a pretty easy fix

Put the long action screw in the front action hole and take another pic, that shot should answer some questions. If the lug needs repositioned its a pretty easy fix

IMG_20130223_160906_zps5ca8aa2c.jpg

I have an unbedded bell carlson that it will fit into but you can tell the action is canted.

But another bedded stock you can not even get a screw to thread. Like wise for another stock where I have removed almost all if the previous bedding (my cracked bell carlson)

Do the action screw and the trigger assy. line up? Looks like a recoil lug problem to me.

Here's the pic with the screw and trigger installed.

IMG_20130223_170206_zps122cd79d.jpg

So out of curiosity what will they do to fix it. Is it just loosening the barrel and aligning the lug?

I've made minor adjustments to the recoil lug "clocking" by tapping it with a brass hammer.

I don't know for sure. If it were my rifle, I think I'd just give it a few whacks with a brass head hammer and see if it moves. I'd guess that it can't be all that uncommon since custom jobs usually have the lug pinned to the receiver.

I saw this recently on a SPS varmit action that a local smith showed me. Customer had brought in a BA to have a custom built on the action. Smith couldn't fix it. Seems this is a common problem overlooked by QC.

I saw this recently on a SPS varmit action that a local smith showed me. Customer had brought in a BA to have a custom built on the action. Smith couldn't fix it. Seems this is a common problem overlooked by QC.

? with the action screws in the alignment with the trigger looks good. Seems the recoil lug is turned as others have stated, if thats the case its an easy fix. Action wrench, barrel vise and a lug alignment tool.

I would definitely say the lug is off set. If you have the vise and action wrench, easy fix. If not, you could hog out the lug opening for the stock on the side that interferes with the lug, might have to touch the bottom also.

If I keep seeing stuff like this I'm going Savage. Eeeek, maybe an easy fix with a bit of calculated elbow grease, but damn. My best friend just bought a Remy 700VLS and the barrel channel was so rough and full of splinters it looked like it was ground out with a rasp file by a 5 year old and that pressure hump towards the business end of the stock was all uneven. 10 minutes with some rough grit then fine grit fixed it and smoothed the channel out to near perfection but for a 900 dollar gun, this seemed odd. Also one of the bipod/swivel mounts was threaded into the barrel channel so far that it poked through completely splintering a 1/2" piece of laminate, although very very thin piece, it was worth noting. Just makes me shake my head a little. I'm new to the long range rifle scene (excluding an 8 year stint shooting groundhogs with a fvss 22-250)......so im wanting to get back in the game with a 308. and im torn between Savage and the 700's.....stuff like your post is making me second guess my leaning towards the 700 any sorry for the hijack. Rock on. tight groups. Hope you get it straightened out and shooting great!
-Demolitionman