• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship canting rifle with level scope

223man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Marysville WA
I tried to do a search real quick on this so if anyone has a link or info on this I would appreciate it. So what my question is, is it a good idea to cant my rifle to fit me better and then level out your scope? I have heard that high power shooters do this and was thinking about trying it out this weekend. But if I am wrong then I don't want to waste the time or ammo.

Thank you.

Re: canting rifle with level scope

Square the scope to the rifle; and, rather than muscling out the cant, eliminate cant with an adjustable butt. The adjustable butt will allow the position to remain muscularly relaxed.

When I shoulder a rifle in unsupported positions I have a natural cant. Some people do and some people don't.
On my target rifles I level the optics to the rifle. Then work it out as I rarely shoot these in unsupprted positions.
My hunting rifle is rarely shot in supported positions and that optic was leveled with the natural cant. Most people who shoulder my hunting rifle think the scope is out of level, but not for me.
YMMV

Level the scope to the action If not nomader what position you are shooting the rifle will always have to be canted to that exact degree if the the scope is level to you and the gun is canted the first time you are in a position were the rifle needs to be level and the scope is not you will be shooting to left or right and the longer the distance the more your going to be off I'm gues it would be a different story if you only ever shot from just one position only that's just my opion...

If you mount the level to the scope so that the level and the reticle agree (assuming the reticle is not canted) then you could turn the rifle 90 degrees if it felt better and your scope would track correctly.

If the level is on the rifle though, you need it and the reticle level with each other for there not to be elevation induced POI change when changing windage and vice-versa.

I prefer to square and level everything. At, standard offhand distances, any cant to the rifle will be irrelevant. When you start reaching out, that cant will be troublesome, holding or dialing. I don't utilize an adjustable stock on any of my rifles. Less variables = mo betta...Cheers...

my previous post was not knocking adjustable stocks, just being budget conscious if applicable...