• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Cap Retention

Delta4-3

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 21, 2013
Arkansas
This is not something I personally came up with, military guys have been doing it for 10+ years. But, I still want to pass it along as it is much cleaner than the provided shoelace that comes with your PVS-14. I have black crimps as well, but I save those for customer builds, because I care not what mine looks like.

Anyways, get some coated steal leader wire, thickness of your choice, and the appropriate size crimps. The crimping tool will cost more than the supplies, but comes in handy elsewhere.

yDVItsn.jpg

Slide the crimp on the end of the wire and run it down about an inch. Then stick that same end of the wire through the loop in the cap, bend it back on itself and insert the free end into the crimp, then crimp it. Next, cut your wire off to where it is about 3" long. place another crimp on that end and run the free end through the battery cap tether. Loop it back on itself and into the crimp a second time, and crimp it. You can then trim the free running end. I like the total length to be just long enough to allow the cap on and off, which also allows me to place Velcro on the cap and the body of the 14 to secure the cap while in use.

The unit on the left has not had the ends trimmed yet, while the unit on the right has already been trimmed.
jEhSycq.jpg

ZQEvBjg.jpg

jK3I802.jpg

You can also use it to make a small attachment point for a retention bungee or lanyard that doesn't bounce around. I personally prefer to use a little heavier gauge for this so it is more rigid, making it easier to attach to in the dark. This also keeps it from getting in the way of the power switch.

I also put a small loop of the same wire on my mounts to have a fast attach point for a retention device.

Reactions: theTastyCat
Way better than that ghetto shoelace! Thanks for sharing this.
I'm off to the sporting goods store.
No problem! Amazon.com has the stuff pretty reasonable too. Let me know if you need some links.

I have to buy SOME stuff from my local store since I've been getting all my guns and optics off the PX here on the hide:)
Thanks for lookin' out though.
Have a good one.

I have to buy SOME stuff from my local store since I've been getting all my guns and optics off the PX here on the hide:)
Thanks for lookin' out though.
Have a good one.

I hear you there, I like to keep money around home if I can. But for me a local sporting goods store is a Wal-mart 45 minutes away!

Hey, thanks for that, I need to do that on my ACOG actually --the adj. caps for some reason didn't come with those and it's an NSN model. I'll fix that up soon.

But I have some relevant ideas that may be of help too:

For the daylight cover? Check this out, this is what I use: Wilcox makes this aluminum end that threads on and has replaceable sacrificial windows. Initial cost is high than an OEM window, but changing windows is cheaper and makes up for it after a few changes. The OEM rubber daylight filter won't fit on it though as the Wilcox part is narrower. So I used a Butler Creek flip up with a pinhole center drilled the exact same size as the OEM one. I forget the correct diameter Butler Creek cap (you can measure it or take it in) but it needs to fit over the adjustment ring --it turns with the ring. It stays put and no need to take it off. Works with the Larue weapon mount, and I'm sure it works fine with others.

I use the BC's as well. They work great. I drill a 3/8" hole in the left one, so to focus on something close, like your gear, a door that needs manipulated, or some other close item, you just flip it down. If you still need protection against light, since you don't have a pinhole cover, just glue a piece of IR passthrough film on the inside of the cap and you have a $15 item that does the same thing these $100-200 items do. It's not as sexy to show off on the internet, but I'm a pretty low speed guy, and it has worked fine for the military for quite a few years.
A lot of inexpensive home improvements can be done on the 14's, and a BC definitely is one of those! You also don't have a cap dangling in your face (sure, Velcro can fix that).

I always get my baseline focus before I put the cap on when using any kind of flip up, so that the cap is oriented the way I want it to.

If you already have the crimpers, let me know and I'll clip you a length of wire and throw it in an envelope with some crimps so you don't have to buy a whole roll and a bag of crimps.
Hey, thanks for that, I need to do that on my ACOG actually --the adj. caps for some reason didn't come with those and it's an NSN model. I'll fix that up soon.

But I have some relevant ideas that may be of help too:

For the daylight cover? Check this out, this is what I use: Wilcox makes this aluminum end that threads on and has replaceable sacrificial windows. Initial cost is high than an OEM window, but changing windows is cheaper and makes up for it after a few changes. The OEM rubber daylight filter won't fit on it though as the Wilcox part is narrower. So I used a Butler Creek flip up with a pinhole center drilled the exact same size as the OEM one. I forget the correct diameter Butler Creek cap (you can measure it or take it in) but it needs to fit over the adjustment ring --it turns with the ring. It stays put and no need to take it off. Works with the Larue weapon mount, and I'm sure it works fine with others.