• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Capped or Exposed

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
So, I've been spending some time researching, looking for a new optic for my 16" AR15. Primary use will be range, and the occasional coyote trip (MN, where you don't get alot of shots over 150 yards), and let's not forget the obligitory SHTF use . . .

So, I've settled upon a SWFA SS 1-4X with a donut-dot reticle.

So, the questions . . . I had initially thought to get exposed turrets, as I'm a dialer, and I just find the removal of the caps to be a pain, especially since I grew up with turrets which required a coin to adjust.

But, upon thinking it through, it's probably unlikely that I'll be dialing anything, given the ranges at which this will be used. And, capped turrets offer the addition of not likely being accidently adjusted as they rub on something like a larger winter coat.

Are the capped turrets safer, in that they don't alow dirt in?

Basically, given the use lised above, would you 'Hide members go with capped or exposed?

I'm just having difficulty deciding, and I value the collective opinion of the members here. Thanks in advance!

Re: Capped or Exposed

For this rifle/scope combo it seems like you answered your own question. If you won't be adjusting your turrets, why have exposed turrets?

I have a similar setup for short range hogs/truck gun etc. 16" 5.56 AR with Burris Tac30 1-4x. It has an illuminated plex with dots which would work if you needed to shoot past 200yds. The center dot and circle also makes close up shots simple. It works great on running hogs at 1x and the illumination is great. When you hit the side button once, the reticle lights up to the last setting you had it on so its fast for jumping out of the truck unexpectedly. At 4x its really clear and the eye relief is good.

burrtac30big01.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For this rifle/scope combo it seems like you answered your own question. If you won't be adjusting your turrets, why have exposed turrets? </div></div>

I may be on the fence because I lost the caps for my father's Redfield when I was on my first deer hunt as a child, and he made sure that I never forgot that error in judgement . . . so I'm always afraid to lose caps . . .

Where I am its fairly easy to get close to hogs. If I was using it mainly for coyotes or range trips I might want a higher magnification and/or a less busy reticle.

With the doughnut reticle in the 1-4SS, I've never seen a reason to dial. I have capped and have not once wished that I had the exposed turrets.

When I was looking for a glass for my AR I was pretty hung up on exposed turrets but having bought a scope with caps and a BDC I don't miss them. Most of my shooting with the AR is on steel silhouettes to 600 yards with a low power scope so I don't feel the extra control adjustable turrets would give is that advantageous. Plus its not that big a deal to unscrew the turrets anyway if you have to. YMMV

I went with capped turrets on my 1-4x on my AR. I use the reticle for holds at the distances I shoot that rifle so I saw no need to have exposed turrets.