• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Captain Jackson

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    [h=1]Arthur Jackson, Medal of Honor recipient for WWII ‘one-man assault’ at Peleliu, dies at 92[/h]
    By Adam Bernstein

June 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    imrs.php
    Arthur J. Jackson, right, receives the Medal of Honor from President Harry Truman on the lawn of the White House in Washington on Oct. 5, 1945. (Family photo)
    Marine Corps Capt. Arthur J. Jackson, who received the Medal of Honor for killing 50 Japanese soldiers and silencing a dozen enemy pillboxes during the World War II battle of Peleliu, and almost two decades later was forced out of the service after covering up his slaying of an alleged Cuban spy, died June 14 in Boise, Idaho. He was 92.

The Congressional Medal of Honor Society announced the death but did not provide a cause.

Pfc. Jackson, then 19, was with the 1st Marine Division in the western Pacific during one of the most grueling battles in that theater of operations. He was among the wave of U.S. forces that landed on Japanese-controlled Peleliu on Sept. 15, 1944, with the intent of overtaking it within days and securing the entire Palau Islands chain in advance of the invasion of the Philippines and Japan.

Instead they met a large, determined and heavily fortified Japanese resistance, about 11,000 troops in all, that inflicted heavy casualties and kept the battle raging for two months before U.S. forces prevailed. Eventually more than 27,000 Americans were involved in the struggle for Peleliu, and they endured one of the highest rates of death and injury in the Pacific, with at least 2,300 killed and 8,400 wounded.

Pfc. Jackson’s unit was ordered to clear the southern end of the island, but on Sept. 18, they were stalled by a storm of enemy gunfire coming from a large Japanese bunker. He was told to move ahead alone and clear it.
    imrs.php
    An undated photo of Arthur Jackson. (Idaho Statesman)
    Loaded up with grenades, he charged the pillbox, raking it with automatic fire while discharging white phosphorus grenades and other explosives. He was credited with killing all 35 occupants.

Continuing alone and again at tremendous peril, he repeated the same maneuver at 11 smaller pillboxes that contained another 15 Japanese soldiers.

“Stouthearted and indomitable despite the terrific odds, Pfc. Jackson resolutely maintained control of the platoon’s left flank movement throughout his valiant one-man assault and, by his cool decision and relentless fighting spirit during a critical situation, contributed essentially to the complete annihilation of the enemy in the southern sector of the island,” read his citation for the Medal of Honor, the military’s highest award for valor.

He was wounded both at ­Peleliu and subsequently at ­Okinawa, receiving two Purple Hearts. In October 1945, President Harry S. Truman bestowed the medal on then-2nd Lt. Jackson at a White House ceremony. He met with dignitaries including Adm. Chester W. Nimitz and Gen. James H. Doolittle. He was feted in a Manhattan ticker-tape parade, riding in a car with columnist Walter Winchell.

Four years later, he joined the Army as a commissioned officer. But after a decade, he returned to the Marines and was serving as a company commander at Guantanamo Bay on Sept. 30, 1961 — during the unnerving interim between the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion and the Cuban missile crisis.

On that night, then-Capt. Jackson said he was alarmed to find a 44-year-old Cuban, Ruben Lopez, in a restricted part of the base used for ammunition storage. Lopez worked as a bus driver on the site, even though he expressed openly pro-Fidel Castro sympathies and was under surveillance by naval intelligence.

On his own initiative, Capt. Jackson decided to eject Lopez with the help of his executive officer, Marine 1st Lt. William Szili. They said they marched him to a long-unused rear gate, but they found the lock rusted shut. Capt. Jackson said he sent Szili to get something to break the lock and, while left alone, Lopez leapt at him. He shot the Cuban with his sidearm.
    imrs.php
    An undated photo of Arthur Jackson. (USMC)
    With the assistance of a few other Marines, Capt. Jackson buried Lopez in a shallow grave on the base.

Szili described an atmosphere of heavy drinking on the base — he said he had been with Capt. Jackson at an officers’s bar on the night of the killing — and that word of the death leaked during one cocktail party.

After the body was discovered, the Defense Department issued a terse statement noting an investigation was underway. The story gained no traction, but Capt. Jackson quietly left the military in March 1962 after being denied a court-martial (and the publicity it could generate) to clear his name.

The full tale came to light in April 1963, when Capt. Jackson was poised to appear at a White House event with President John F. Kennedy honoring ­Medal of Honor recipients. Szili said he had been discharged by that time — under threat of a $10,000 fine and 10 years in prison if he disclosed the killing — and he was seeking reinstatement.

The Philadelphia Bulletin and the syndicated columnist Jack Anderson reported the coverup, a Cold War blockbuster that had the potential to become an international incident. Capt. Jackson, then working as a $90-a-week letter carrier in San Jose, sent his regrets to the White House.

He stayed mum, but his wife spoke to the San Jose Mercury News to say her husband had been “thrown out” of the corps and pressed into signing a statement forbidding discussion of the incident, lest he face the same fine and imprisonment as Szili. He left 18 months before he was eligible for a full pension.

He later worked in a warehouse and managed a pizza parlor before joining the Veterans Administration and retiring as chief of veterans services for Idaho.

Arthur Junior Jackson was born in Cleveland on Oct. 18, 1924, and grew up in Canton, Ohio, and later Portland, Ore., moving for his father’s job as a watchmaker during the Depression.

He was a high school athlete, lettering in baseball, football and track. After graduation, he left for a construction job in Alaska, helping build a runway at a naval air station near Sitka. After enlisting in the Marine Corps as an infantryman, he distinguished himself during the New Britain campaign in the Pacific in late 1943.

His first marriage, to the former Dolores Bawden, ended in divorce. Survivors include his wife, Kathlyn Doell Jackson of Boise; five children from his first marriage, A.J. Jackson of Ashland, Ore., Kathy Watson of Rhinelander, Wis., Susan Claycomb of Lakewood, Colo., Lori Hickerson of Littleton, Colo., and Monte Jackson of Boise; seven grandchildren; and seven great-grandsons.

Capt. Jackson, who said he long felt “ashamed” of his Guantanamo killing, did not speak publicly about the incident until an Idaho Statesman reporter interviewed him in 2013.

He said his key concern was his “understanding” of a treaty between the United States and Cuba that could have resulted in his detention in a notorious Cuban prison.

“I hoped no one would find out,” he told the newspaper. “The world found out.”

Peleliu was the worst D-Day of the Pacific War.

100 percent of junior officers were killed or wounded within a few days. Capt. Ack Ack Haldene was one of the few who made it more than a few days. He was killed within a week.

It was an invasion that never should have happened. That Japanese garrison could have been left to starve. The Philippine Beachheads were secure. Peleliu offered no threat. But it happened because... it was scheduled. And noone had the foresight or balls to cancel it.

Amazing story... I read years ago. I didn't even realize that he was still alive. An amazing Marine.

Thanks for posting.

Sirhr

Interesting story, I just visited the Medal of Honor memorial site on the river walk in Pueblo, Colorado yesterday. Across the board their humility and single mindedness of purpose stood out. I wish he had been better treated.

I got a chance to fire an M1 Garand that was in that battle. It gave me cold chills to look down the sights at a target, and to imagine what the Marine who carried it on Peleliu had seen through those very same sights. He died about four hours in, aboard the USS Mount McKinley (the amphibious assault command ship) after being wounded and evacuated to the ship for treatment. A good friend of mine was a gunner's mate who manned a 5-inch gun on that ship, and he was asked by the medics to secure the weapon when the Marine was brought aboard, intestines hanging out but still clutching the M1.The rifle stayed locked up on the ship until the end of the war. When it was all over, the guys were allowed to send a weapon home, so my friend remembered the M1 was still locked up onboard, and that's the one he picked to send home. According to my friend, the reason the Marine (and many others) was brought aboard the McKinley was because the Admiral had chosen it for his flag ship, therefore it had a full medical staff. When the battle began, the hospital ship(s) filled up quickly and were over-run with casualties, so they started taking them aboard the McKinley.

My friend passed away from mesothelioma (from his Navy service?) two years ago. His extensive gun collection went to a son of his, whom I never met and lives across the country. I've wondered if he'd be interested in selling that M1...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i726.photobucket.com\/albums\/ww267\/darkhorsephoto\/IMG_0136_zpsbrbt1pio.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    Colonel Ed and the aforementioned M1(yes, he joined the Army after the war, and became a full Colonel before he retired).

And, a better view along with my Kimber.

Last edited:
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i726.photobucket.com\/albums\/ww267\/darkhorsephoto\/IMG_0136_zpsbrbt1pio.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    Colonel Ed and the aforementioned M1(yes, he joined the Army after the war, and became a full Colonel before he retired).

And, a better view along with my Kimber.

In regards to its ability to be purchased, never hurts to ask. It appears to be in great shape.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.

Peleliu was one of the most vicious battles in the Pacific right up there with Tarawa, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. The Marine General in charge predicted it would last only 3 day prior to the battle but eventually lasted over 30 days with heavy casualties for both the Marines and U.S. Army. Many in the Navy including Adm. William Halsey felt the invasion was unnecessary but was overruled by MacArthur who felt he needed his flank protected. Chesty Puller's 1st Marine Division sustained very heavy casualties with repeated assaults and reduced to only a shadow of itself. There are some excellent books on the battle and worth the read.