• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Capturing wind Kestrel 5700 elite

jsimonh

Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Altus, Oklahoma
I've always left the target at 000° and then put in the o'clock manually but I've been messing with using the target and wind capture function to speed the process up. Seems pretty easy however I can't seem to find what W1 and W2 are based on when using the capture function. I was hoping it was an average and a "high" but after messing with it tonight that doesn't appear to be the case. Also have you guys found it to be fairly accurate as far as direction? Tonight I wouldve put the wind I was reading at 730, maybe 8 at most but the kestrel set it at 830. I wasn't to inspired by that. I've had the 5700 since they first came out but I've always just used it old school style, just looking at trying to take a little more advantage of what it can do.

W1 is average, W2 is high. When in doubt:
https://kestrelinstruments.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/17

FBBB6651-670D-4BD1-B203-BC4515E09743.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had good and bad experiences with Kestrel. Mostly the fault is the compass needing a calibration.

The device is also somewhat hard to aim at a target with precision. Half an hour error is likely when doing it on the spot. (Target direction + wind direction) Let's say it needs practice.

Reactions: st1650
I used a hand held map compass and input the wind direction and the firing direction that way.