• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Car advice?

garrett

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
You guys have been a big help in the past, maybe you can again. I have a 94 pathfinder that has had problems starting. Usually Im able to get it to start just by turning the key a shit ton of times or rolling it forward slightly and popping the clutch then it starts (not push start). Probably a bum starter but new problem now! Took a trip to snoqualmie valley for a buddies wedding and when we were about to leave it wouldnt start at all period, we had to push start, never really had to do that. Anyways we got home and again it wouldnt start when i checked it. Today i rolled it down the hill, started it and pulled up into the driveway. Noticed the battery light was on, hmmm... Popped the hood, walked around to the front and it started idling lower, lower, lower, walked back in gave it some gas, VERY weak and then finally it just sputtered to a stop. Radio still turns on but headlights/dashlights seem dim and other electrical stuff seems slow/sluggish. I had the battery load tested though recently and they said it was fine. However i have noticed recently that the headlights seem to flicker when driving, maybe a bad alternator? Still dont know why that would cause the car to just die... Any input guys? If you need any more info just ask!

Re: Car advice?

sounds like an alternator problem (take it to any auto parts and have a load put on the alternator and battery), the other about having to mess with the key so much could be, the ignition switch or a bad solenoid on the starter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wasted battery doesn't hold a charge at all. That sounds like what you are describing. The alternator appears to be doing it's job, but the battery isn't taking it, comprende?</div></div>

but with the car running and the battery light coming on and lights dimming slowly, that's the alternator. If it was the battery that's bad, it would run fine if you don't turn it off. Turn the car on and hook up a volt meter to it. You should be between 13.5 and 14.5 volts.

From all the things your describing, I think you need to have the alternator checked, as well as the starter.. You obviously have a charging issue if the battery light is on..

Your starting issue could be a bad solenoid, or a flat spot on the starter.. which you would just replace the starter..

Be sure to check and clean all connections at the starter as well as the battery..

Lazy is correct, you need the alternator to put out around 14v..

One other thing for you to check, since you say you are push starting it.. check the clutch switch.. make sure it's doing it's job..

Hope this helps

I described exactly what was going on with my lost Neon when the battery was dead. Either way, both the Battery AND the Altrnating Current Battery Charger(
grin.gif
that be asshole for Alternator) need to be checked.
You can do this at home by turning on the vehicle, then taking the your multimeter ground and placing it on a common ground such as the block. Place the + lead(the red one) onto the +(red again) on the battery. You should read between 13V and 15V on a 12V SYstem if it is charging right, with 15V being the highest. Lower than that means you have a fault in your alternator. If the Alternator reads as 'good', then your battery is wasted adn needs to be replaced. Look on the little tag on teh battery and check the date. That date is Install date. If it is a 36 MOnth battery and it's been four years(48 months) your battery is indeed dead, kaput, passed on, no longer with us and should be replaced should you want to motor on
grin.gif

As said before first check all connections at the battery. Check for a good connection at the alternator. Check the voltage (with a voltmeter) at the alternator. As said before the alternator is most likely bad. You should also have the battery load tested. The big reason for that is if the diodes have failed in the alternator it would cause damage (sulfating) to the battery.
The starting issue you will end up having eventually is the contacts in the starter fail (wear out). The symptom will be the starter will click but the motor will not turn over. These contacts are easy to replace without replacing the starter as it should be the gear reduction starter and the motors rarely go out. Takes me about 20 minutes to pull it and put in the two copper contacts and reinstall. Shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to an hour with normal hand tools. Here is a good idea that you can do to make your alternator last a long time. Keeping a well charged good battery. Don't jump start another vehicle with your engine running. You can put jumper cables on the dead battery then start yours and charge the dead battery but don't have someone try to start their vehicle with yours running. Make sure the belt is tight if it is not a serpentine belt. Lotsa alternators have been replaced due to nothing more than a loose belt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Takes me about 20 minutes to pull it and put in the two copper contacts and reinstall. Shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to an hour with normal hand tools</div></div>

show off........
wink.gif

When you are on flag rate (commission) taking your time means less gun stuff.
That and air tools make a huge difference. I like to use some form of air tool that will do my work for me. It will save your body over years and years of doing this.

havent been able to get to it yet. been working but i have the next two days off so im going at it starting tomorrow