• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Car Auction advice?

teknikallysekure

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • I know a lot of you are probably quite a bit savvier[sic?] than I am with this kind of thing, but I've been thinking about getting a 4x4 Tacoma or 4 runner to go romp around in the mud with as a toy and occasional driver and was thinking about checking out some auto auctions to try and get it for as little as possible.

So far I've googled quite abit on what to do/not to do, but figured if any of ya'll had experience I'd love to hear about it.

Re: Car Auction advice?

Look at craigslist in you area. There are a lot of deals to be had right now on vehicles.

'Sup', Cdub.Id be careful about the auctions. Thats where people tend to get rid of rebuilt wrecks...bent frames, flood damage etc. Ive found good luck on ebay motors...look for a carfax report. They are certified and if you have a problem later you cna go back on them...at least on the dealer. Id be real pateint....the economy is tough and a LOT of people are being forced to sell their TOYS just to get out of the payment or a bit of money for the kids school or whatever. Take your time and youll find a great deal. Then we can go up int hills and blow some stuff up the next time I visit Portland.....so beautifull in the spring...Japanese Gardens looking over the city at Mt Hood...breathtaking. Good luck and be patient.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'Sup', Cdub.Id be careful about the auctions. Thats where people tend to get rid of rebuilt wrecks...bent frames, flood damage etc. Ive found good luck on ebay motors...look for a carfax report. They are certified and if you have a problem later you cna go back on them...at least on the dealer. Id be real pateint....the economy is tough and a LOT of people are being forced to sell their TOYS just to get out of the payment or a bit of money for the kids school or whatever. Take your time and youll find a great deal. Then we can go up int hills and blow some stuff up the next time I visit Portland.....so beautifull in the spring...Japanese Gardens looking over the city at Mt Hood...breathtaking. Good luck and be patient. </div></div>

You bet! They regularly hold moon viewings at the Japanese gardens in the summer along with tea ceremonies it's a cool way to spend a summer evening to be sure.

Also definitely in for the going up into the hills and blowing stuff up. I definitely want to spend this summer and fall exploring all the worn down loggin roads out there. I've been to some awesome places there's simply no other way to get to than 4x4 or possibly ATV.

CW, I think you can find some good deals and maybe find something more along the lines of what you are looking for concentrated on some of the 4x4 forums. Times are tough and deals are to be had, the good thing about forums like SH is that the members tend to have more of a reputation at stake than on eBay or Craigslist... they also tend to know a little more about what they are selling.

there are some toyota forums and pirate 4x4, and I'm sure others

I'm not sure what type of auction you're talking about, but in some, you may need a dealer's license to participate.

I would 1st check your local newspaper and if you find what you want go and look at it and get the vin # and get on carfax, pay a little bit of money and find out the history of the vehicle. Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure what type of auction you're talking about, but in some, you may need a dealer's license to participate. </div></div>

There's public auctions also, but they sound like they can be pretty dicey.

Let's divide this up:

ebay auction: I have purchased 2 cars/1 motorcycle and sold 3 motorcycles on ebay. Some will like it and some won't. If you know exactly what you want and are familiar with aspects of that vehicle, I like ebay. You have many options and you determine what you will spend. There are many ways to not purchase it after inspecting the vehicle, in case it is not as described.

Auto auctions: This is where your local car dealers buy and sell autos on their lot. You will need a licensed broker to purchase this way. You can find people to do this for a few hundred dollars plus auction expenses. However, when you are the high bidder, it's yours. Over 60% of used cars on any new car lot are from the auction, so don't fear buying there.
    A slight twist; Many local car dealers will seek out a specific vehicle for you when you give them specific on the car and exactly how much you will pay. If you go this route, you don't have to purchase if the car is not exactly what you wanted.

Public auctions: I don't know anything about them, except for public govt auctions which usually have vehicles that I have not been interested in.

CW, most auto auctions (that you can attend) will allow you to inspect any vehicle you are interested in before they roll across the block. If you go to a public auction, the prices will be alot higher than going to a auction that you need a dealers license to enter or purchase. As for the online auction sites the best deals are on the dealer license sites. Public auctions have a habit of being expensive and possibly a rip off.(scams,hidden damage,etc). If you were closer I could take you to the auctions out here to pick up one. If you have the savvy of being able to repair one from a wreck, you can get them cheap and build it yourself. That's what I do(or use to do). Hope this helps. If you need any sites for deals or parts, shoot me a PM as they don't like us advertizing on here and I won't break the rules again
    wink.gif
    Tommy

Finally home to answer this.
    Car auctions.
    Private are a joke as they are put on by dealers and are rigged big time. You will loose.
    The normal dealer style auction will require a dealer license. If you were lucky enough to get into one without being in the "in crowd" they will eat you up. They often play games with other dealers bidding up prices just to "f" with them. If they don't know you it WILL be even worse. Unless you buy one with a clean carfax and the base warranty still intact you will get screwed.
    This is kind of a big boy crowd with snakes that would cut you and let you bleed. You know used car dealers rank almost as bad as lawyers right? There is a reason.

As others have said just go with the craigslist or private party and take it to a local yota dealer for a checkout.

Tacomas are smoking hot right now and prices on used ones are insane.
    In many cases, you can pick up a Tundra for the same or less. Bigger truck w/ V8, but the MPG's are very similar.

Nissans and other less epic brands can go for considerably less.

If you have an Android phone, there's an app called CraigsNotifica that can be configured to watch various craigslist posts in your area and feed you fresh listing that meet your criteria on location, prices, pictures included, etc.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=co...e=search_result

I've bought vehicles at government fleet sales that were pretty good cars, but you typically don't see many Toyotas at those.

If you have a friend in the business, ask if you can tag along to an auction sometimes and see what's going one. Maybe strike a deal where if a truck you want comes through that he'll buy it and resell it you at a minimal markup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's divide this up:

ebay auction: I have purchased 2 cars/1 motorcycle and sold 3 motorcycles on ebay. Some will like it and some won't. If you know exactly what you want and are familiar with aspects of that vehicle, I like ebay. You have many options and you determine what you will spend. There are many ways to not purchase it after inspecting the vehicle, in case it is not as described.

Auto auctions: This is where your local car dealers buy and sell autos on their lot. You will need a licensed broker to purchase this way. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">You can find people to do this for a few hundred dollars plus auction expenses.</span></span> However, when you are the high bidder, it's yours. Over 60% of used cars on any new car lot are from the auction, so don't fear buying there.
    A slight twist; Many local car dealers will seek out a specific vehicle for you when you give them specific on the car and exactly how much you will pay. If you go this route, you don't have to purchase if the car is not exactly what you wanted.

Public auctions: I don't know anything about them, except for public govt auctions which usually have vehicles that I have not been interested in. </div></div>

Terrific advice.

CW, another thing to look at is Facebook markets. My wife found a truck on there while I was shopping everywhere else (I had never heard about it). I ended up buying the truck she found on there. It's similar to craigslist with the locations, you can search out a certain mileage to stay within driving distance.

BTW, I ended up with an '06 Tacoma double cab short box, LOVE IT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CW, another thing to look at is Facebook markets. My wife found a truck on there while I was shopping everywhere else (I had never heard about it). I ended up buying the truck she found on there. It's similar to craigslist with the locations, you can search out a certain mileage to stay within driving distance.

BTW, I ended up with an '06 Tacoma double cab short box, LOVE IT! </div></div>

Ha! I was wondering why your old truck hadn't moved for a while.