• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbine buffer, rifle gas?

Beef82

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
NC
I know there's allot of them out there, I also understand that Crane determined it an unreliable combination. So my question is what is the experience of those of you running a collapsible stock carbine length buffer system with a rifle length gas system?

What kinda system life round count do you have? Typical shooting session roundcount? And what if any issues have you had? And of course what weight buffer? Adjustable port? Suppresor? Barrel length? and any other pertinent details.

I'm trying to eliminate cycling issues without first having to experience them. Mine's current details, 18", rifle gas, standard gas block, no subs, or suppressor in the near future, buffer system undecided. Thanks for any info you can impart.

Re: Carbine buffer, rifle gas?

I ran a VLTOR clubfoot until I picked up a magpul PRS. It ran fine.
Balance and adjustment are why I swapped. Never had cycling issues with it.

H2 buffer is what I and most I know use with that same setup. I would start with that. Some has have good results with a H3

An 18" barrel with rifle length gas is probably the lowest pressure, softest shooting rig that you can get in an AR. I ran mine with a UBR stock.

I ran thousands of rounds through mine and never had a problem. I always used stock buffer springs and a Spike's ST-T2 buffer.

Take yours out and shoot it, taking note of the ejection pattern. If you're getting about a 3:00 ejection, then all is good. If it's kicking the brass forward of your position, you may want to go heavier on the buffer, but I really doubt that this will be the case. If it kicks the brass behind you, try going lighter on the buffer.

I've shot that combination quite a bit and never had any issues in reliability. YMMV but I find it GTG.

Greg