• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Carbine Optic- Improvement over current USO SN4 1.5-6x?

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
Just what the title says... I'm looking into what options would be an improvement over my current USO SN4 1.5-6x w/C2 reticle and capped mil-adjustments.

Things I think I need to explore are:
-True 1x options
-8x top end options
-Dual focal plane options
-Daylight vis illumination

That isn't to say those are must haves (well, the true 1x is prob a requirement). But they are things I'd like to see some more input on as far as what models offer which options and the perceived value it adds. I'd also prefer to keep the cost somewhere close to whatever I can sell my SN4 for (thoughts on that?? I don't see them pop up for sale very often), plus no more than $1000.

I had gave the Kahles 1-6 some serious consideration, but I'm just not sure.

So, lets hear it...

Are you looking for a FFP or SFP option? Also, is it sitting on a 5.56 carbine?

At around $1k the best FFP option is probably Burris XTR II 1-8x24. I do not think you will find any good dual focal plane options in your price range that offer true 1x. Burris XT II 1.5-8x28 is a nice DFP scope, but 1.5x on the bottom.

Weaver 1-7x is kinda OK, but I never warmed up to the EMDR reticle.

With SFP, there are several good 1-6x options. For $1k, Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 is a really nice option with good illumination.

There are a few others too.

ILya

$1k plus the value of my SN4- so realistically, it should likely be closer to $1800? I'm not really sure what the going value on the SN4 is.

Yes, going to be on a 556 carbine.

FFP/SFP preference depends on the reticle and mag range really.

I can second the Burris XTRII 1-8. I run one on a 7.62 gasser. Have it set up as my DMR type rifle. The Burris is excellent in that role. I've regularly made hits from point blank out to 600 yds on steel just using the reticle. At it's price point, I think the 1-8 is a GREAT choice. I also run a Vortex Razor 1-6 on a 5.56 gun. The Burris XTRII isn't giving up a thing in glass quality, and the Razor is universally praised for its glass quality.

Well, the reticle in the XTR II 1-8x24 works really well with 5.56, so if you want FFP, that is your best bang for the buck, in my opinion.

Like with most FFP scopes this side of $3k, the reticle illumination on 1x is not as bright as with the best of the SFP designs, so you kinda have to pick what is more important to you.

Personally, I run the XTR II and like it immensely. That having been said, if this was a scope that spends 80% of the time on 1x, I would lean toward a high quality SFP design like Vortex Razor HD 1-6x24, Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24 or Leupold VX-6 1-6x24.

Lastly, if your budget is a bit beyond $1k, it may be worth your while to take a look at the GPOTAC 1-8x24. It promises to be a very nice option, but I have not tested it yet, so I can't say for sure. I know a couple of people at GPO, so I expect to get my hands on one of these around SHOT time or just after.

ILya

Well, the reticle in the XTR II 1-8x24 works really well with 5.56, so if you want FFP, that is your best bang for the buck, in my opinion.

Like with most FFP scopes this side of $3k, the reticle illumination on 1x is not as bright as with the best of the SFP designs, so you kinda have to pick what is more important to you.

Personally, I run the XTR II and like it immensely. That having been said, if this was a scope that spends 80% of the time on 1x, I would lean toward a high quality SFP design like Vortex Razor HD 1-6x24, Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24 or Leupold VX-6 1-6x24.

Lastly, if your budget is a bit beyond $1k, it may be worth your while to take a look at the GPOTAC 1-8x24. It promises to be a very nice option, but I have not tested it yet, so I can't say for sure. I know a couple of people at GPO, so I expect to get my hands on one of these around SHOT time or just after.

ILya

This is a great summary on LPV's in the ~$1k range, I'll also add that the Eotech Vudu 1-6 is another high quality LPV in that price range after the mail in rebate going on.

I have a Trijicon accupower 1-4 on one of my rifles im pretty happy with. has a BDC ret in it for the 55gr and its illuminated SFP. its not my favorite but at 500 bucks it gets the job done.

This is a great summary on LPV's in the ~$1k range, I'll also add that the Eotech Vudu 1-6 is another high quality LPV in that price range after the mail in rebate going on.

I have only seen the Vudu at Shot, so I really can't comment on it. It should be a good scope, based on where it is made, but best I can tell it should be the same basic design as the Cronus 1-6x24, SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 and Norden Precision 1-6x24. If that is the case, the illumination at 1x should be a little on the weak side. Also, I think I see Athlon Cronus 1-6x24 on sale for around $700, which would make it a raging deal. Have you played with the Vudu on 1x? How is the illumination?

ILya

I have only seen the Vudu at Shot, so I really can't comment on it. It should be a good scope, based on where it is made, but best I can tell it should be the same basic design as the Cronus 1-6x24, SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 and Norden Precision 1-6x24. If that is the case, the illumination at 1x should be a little on the weak side. Also, I think I see Athlon Cronus 1-6x24 on sale for around $700, which would make it a raging deal. Have you played with the Vudu on 1x? How is the illumination?

ILya

It's very well built, the 1x is very good but the illumination on this is like a typical FFP LPV in this class. The reticle is still fast without illumination.

I'm going to say Vortex strike eagle 1-8x. After owning a strike eagle 1-6x. I know its not the one your looking for. Its the value option.

Maybe a realistic option would be the Trijicon 1-8 used? or Vortex razor gen 2 used. Or the new PST 2?

You would have a lot of $ for ammo.

Last edited:

ILya

How would the Burris 1-8x in SFP stack up with those 1-6x options you listed? They offer a fairly standard BDC reticle with illuminated center dot SFP model as well. I've been considering upgrading my Steiner P4xi on my 3-gun rifle - I'm not sure it's worth the hassle and money to just jump up to 6x, but 8x is a pretty big jump. 80% of the time this rifle is used on 1x.

How would the Burris 1-8x in SFP stack up with those 1-6x options you listed? They offer a fairly standard BDC reticle with illuminated center dot SFP model as well. I've been considering upgrading my Steiner P4xi on my 3-gun rifle - I'm not sure it's worth the hassle and money to just jump up to 6x, but 8x is a pretty big jump. 80% of the time this rifle is used on 1x.

I have only played with the FFP model, so I do not know how well the SFP one works.

ILya

If you were looking for a 1-8 FFP MIL or MOA based Trijicon 1-8 Accupower can be had in either. Or if you were looking for a 1-8 FFP with MIL based turrets, but a BDC reticle calibrated for 5.56 then the Primary Arms 1-8 Platinum series scope would be worth a look.

I have only played with the FFP model, so I do not know how well the SFP one works.

ILya

Have you had a chance to look through the SN-4 like the OP has? I'm in a similar situation with the same scope.

Have you had a chance to look through the SN-4 like the OP has? I'm in a similar situation with the same scope.

I have seen several SN-4 scopes over the years and while well built and durable, there was a lot of sample variation in terms of optics (like with the rest of the USO scopes historically). Because of that, it is hard to make any sort of a generally applicable statements. I do think that recent 1-8x24 designs from LOW are better than the all the SN-4s I have seen, based on my recollection.

Going forward, with US Optics under different ownership and in a different location, I am very curious to see how it is going to go.

ILya

In that case I'd look at a Kahles or Swaro for a 1-6 and the Swaro or Minox for a 1-8 :cool:

The Kahles 1-6 is outstanding at 1x. Bright illumination and superb FOV. Glass is second to none. Better than my Aimpoint T1 and Trijicon MRO. Only use it on 1x or 6x, so the SFP doesn't matter. Have hit targets at 500 yds with elevation holds at 6x.