• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbine search: LMT Defender and/or comparable models?

Patton63

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Northern Virginia
I apologize for the "what should I get" nature of this post, but I would appreciate any thoughful advice you guys could provide. As background, my main shooters are an M40a1 build, a garand, and an 18" AR build that is set up with a PRS stock and scope for medium distance shooting.

I have had my son shooting with me since he was 5. He is 10 now, and has progressed from .22's of various forms to shooting the AR. I'd like to get an AR carbine that he and I can both shoot. I don't need a full rail system, but would like a flat top so that I can switch between iron sights and optics (I really want him to focus on iron sights for now).

Yesterday, I looked at an LMT Defender 2000 and really liked the way it was set up. I've looked and have seen various criticisms of LMT (chamber is too tight, etc.), but, of course, there are criticisms of most platforms. For those with more experience than me, I'd greatly appreciate thoughts on both this model and alternative models I should check out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

LMT is top notch for sure. If you're not 100% set on going for a carbine length gas system, go for a midlength.
This midlength BCM comes with a stronger, more heat resistant hand guard than the LMT defender and is built to the same or better quality standards.
BCM Mid-16 AR15 Bravo Company
If you liked rails I would have said go with the LMT MRP given the longer gas system. Gas system aside carbines from BCM, Spikes, Daniel Defense, Colt, Noveske, and a few others would be comparable.

Many people say that you should start out with a direct impingement AR, but I started out with a piston AR (POF) and had no problems. They're heavier, but easier to clean, and very accurate if you get one with quality components.

I hear really good things about the LMT CQB line.