• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon buildup closer to the muzzle

TheLucasRanch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
OR
Hello friends. After inspecting my relatively new (200 rounds) factory rem barrel (happens to be 308, but that doesn’t matter), with my new Tesslong bore scope, I noticed that the closer I get to the muzzle and the further I get from the chamber down the inside of the barrel, the heavier is the carbon buildup in the grooves where they join the lands. Appreciate any insights on why this would be. Is it a function of my barrel cleaning method, or a function of what’s happening inside the barrel during firing, or something else I wonder. Thanks.

Oh here are two pics - one near the chamber and the other near the muzzle.

Attachments

• IMG_2452.jpeg
    IMG_2452.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 43
I've never seen carbon worse near the muzzle than near the chamber.

Last edited:
FWIW, I`ve noticed carbon build up at and near the crown with my 17HMR. Don`t know if this is a particular issue with rimfires(?). I now spend a little time cleaning the crown area as a part of the cleaning routine.