• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Carbon fiber barrel for 6.8 western build

tilman2141

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
Kentucky
I thought I had made my mind up on my barrel by going with a Carbon Six for my build but after doing some reading and talking to gunsmiths they are saying I need to look at proof research again. What perspectives can anyone give me as to why I should go to proof research or stay with carbon six. Price point is somewhat better with carbon six and they offer a feather weight which I take is a smaller contour than PR sendero light. Thanks

Call up CarbonSix and chat with them about what the differences are. They answer the phone and are happy to chat.

Another difference is apparently their resin technique during carbon weave: CarbonSix told me they do their weave with carbon fiber pre-impregnated with resin, which they claim results in more uniform resin content and improved overall composition. Whether that really matters all that much, who knows.

I have a Proof carbon barrel that shoots fantastic. I also have a brand new CarbonSix barrel newly installed on a Tikka action. Haven’t shot that one yet, but what I can say is the finished product at least appears to be every bit as fine as a Proof. I too did a bunch of research prior to ordering, price was good and I saw way more good word than bad. Should be getting it to the range soon, I’d be happy to report back if you’re not in a rush.

I have a proof 6.5cm prefit. The weight vs a regular barrel is super nice. It shoots excellent now that I found the load, but it isn't like my other custom barrels either. I can't mag feed the bigger bullets without a massive jump and I couldn't ever get a 140 gr or bigger to ever shoot like I do with all of my other barrels. Not sure why exactly, or if it's even related to the carbon or what. That said, the 130 gr stuff shoots like a laser. I think if I was ordering one I'd probably try to get a Bartlein carbon with BB steel but if price was an issue, proof is pretty good. I've heard from some reputable smith's that everyone here would know that proof has had some quality control issues from time to time since they got really big and started kicking out such a high number of barrels, but they also apparently handle warranty issues well. I don't know much about carbon 6. I had a BSF carbon barrel that shot excellent in an ar10, but those are the only 2 carbons I've had.

I've got a carbon 6 in 6 CM that hammers. I've got proof stuff that also absolutely hammers. I would use whichever the smith doing the job prefers as he will have to stand behind his work.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
After more research I have found out Hells Canyon cut rifles their blanks so I’m really looking at going with their barrel and brake they are making up. It will be 4 months out on theirs.