• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon fiber barrel POI shift?

mjsand44

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2017
Canada
I am looking to re-barrel a .300 win mag. I will use this rifle for steel out to 1600 m and as a hunter. I currently run a shot out lilja 26 “ however I am trying to shave weight as most of my hunts are back pack hunts in the mountains. I was looking into going with a carbon fiber barrel. A buddy of mine had a proff carbon barrel and had a constant shift of .5 moa after 5 rounds. I have read of this happening to other shooters however my sample size is pretty small to make a decision. I have also read that hardy barrels have a similar issues, but I only know 2 shooters that have one. My number 1 priority is accuracy but number 2 is weight. I was wondering if the results that my buddy is seeing and (reading about in applied ballistics) are normal and what your experiences are with carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

Thanks

My suppressed proof barreled 6.5cm does not shift during a 10 round rapid fire string. That's the most rounds I've put through it on paper at one time.

I have a 300wm with a proof barrel. I can shoot 5 round groups with no poi shift. It’s suppressed 100% of the time so I can’t say one way or another if that makes a difference. Gets pretty toasty after five rounds so I’ve never shot more than five consecutively.

I just finished my 3rd build with Proof and I have seen no poi shift. All three rifles are suppressed and I have been complete impressed with Proof's barrels. I have done 10 round groups with two of the rifles and have witnessed zero problems, however I was not shooting extremely fast. Already planning the next build with a Proof barrel!
65cm.jpg

Reactions: mjsand44
My .338 has no poi shift, at all. Been great barrel this far. Have close to 500 rds. Still shooting good.