• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon Fiber Barrels

Darayavaus

Renaissance man
Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2019
    in a bunker here behind my wall
    I'm taking off the barrel on my daughter's Rem M7 and I'm planning to have the gunsmith put on a good carbon fiber barrel in 6.5 creedmoor. I know SS barrels, and have built up a number of custom traditional rifles, but this is my first walk into the carbon fiber world. So advice is appreciated.

She is a good shot, and has dropped deer out to 600 yards with this little 7 and it's stock barrel, so I do want something that is not lacking for accuracy.

Bartleins a bartlein. Proof is a proof. Carbon6 is mcgowen. The insides still made the same by those companies. Like with all things the higher the price the more exacting the standards.

Reactions: Darayavaus
    Can’t go wrong with Bartlein, Proof, or Benchmark Carbon. Ive no issues with any of them. I’m getting my first CarbonSix barrel soon which is a McGowen, I imagine it should be fine as well

Reactions: Darayavaus
    I have Bartlein, Proof, and Carbon6. Blindly shooting, I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which in terms of accuracy with my handloads. I do have 1 Proof barrel that's only starting to break in and doesn't seem to follow the trend of the others, but it's a 7.5t and I saw it do better when I loaded it with heavier bullets.
    Depending on you length, a Bartlein 2B contour is almost the same weight as a carbon barrel to 18". The 2B is also my most accurate barrel of the bunch but I shoot ALL handloads so the details are in the load I believe.

Buy for looks, or if you want a long lightish barrel that has enough meat for a 5/8 muzzle thread

Other than that, I’ve not seen how they shoot 2x the money of a 4 contour that they weigh the same as