• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon Fiber cleaning rod with JAG attached stuck in barrel

Weaver909

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2021
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
So I am new to rifles and I just got myself a Tikka T3X TAC A1 Rifle. When I was cleaning my rifle, the Rod (with a JAG and patch attached) got stuck what felt like half way through the barrel; I could not push or pull it out. I ended up tapping the rod through with a hammer and when it stuck out the end of the barrel there was no patch attached, so it was stuck in the barrel. I then pulled the Rod back towards me and it got stuck again, so I hammered it back out through the barrel. I then pulled back really fast and was able to get the Rod and patch out. I am no expert, but is there a chance that I messed up my rifling? When I look down the barrel I don’t notice anything that looks off, but I am terrified I messed something up.

Another tip I have learned ... make sure you first use a compound that is "slippery", not "sticky". Example ... CLP is slippery - you'll never struggle to get it through the bore. MPRO-7 is sticky - the first wet patch goes through fine, but subsequent dry patches want to stick. I usually use CLP first with a couple of moist patches, let it sit, brush it, dry patch it ... and then use my more powerful MPRO-7 after that initial cleaning with CLP. That works really well for me. My wife kicked everything except CLP and MPRO-7 out of the reloading room ... due to the smell.

It's probably ok.
Are you using the correct size patches for the caliber of your rifle?
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and I watched a cleaning video guide on YouTube and the guy said he used 1.5” cloths, so I bought that size. I think where I went wrong was I bought these triple Twill patches instead of cotton patches and that is why they were so tight. I ended up cutting up my 12 gauge shotgun cotton patches into 4’s and that worked.

Reactions: Ranchhand
Your stuck jag patch issue is hardly a thing on the rifling compared to that 140gr bullet screaming through it at 2700fps. As long as you didn’t beat on the crown then chances are you did absolutely nothing to affect your barrel.

Reactions: Weaver909
Try the same patch and jag, but pierce the patch off center. This can help a bore that may be fine with solvent to help lubricate the patch but dry patches get stuck.

Square patches can more easily bunch up on itself causing a ton of friction. Get some round patches and a good bore guide.

Reactions: Weaver909
Don't know why I clicked on this thread, other than just to see what happened. Glad you got it out. I was kinda thinking had this been a fascistbook post, some yahoo would have said shoot it out with a blank...

By the way, back in the early 80s in West Germany, we would hunt rabbit with a blank, and a cleaning rod... idiot kids that we were.

Switched to dewey wrap jags. I use the cheap bulk squares. Theres more uniform surface contact and they can go back and forth like a mop without getting stuck or falling off.

Attachments

• p_749000427_5.jpg
    p_749000427_5.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 57
Personally I like the Parker Hale style jags (sold by Dewey these days) where you wrap the patch (square one) around the jag like rolling a cigarette (or a joint for you degenerates! haha).

Doesn't tend get jammed up as badly as on on a jag with a point.

With the pointed jags, I found the same as others have said....whatever the manf (Bore Tech in this case) suggests for the size of the cleaning patch for your caliber, its too damn big and can get jammed in there pretty good if you push it.

271331.jpg

Have a wrap jag, it's okay, not my thing. Always felt like I wasn't getting good contact.

I buy the round patches the size according to Boretech. You aren't supposed to run the patches centered. Run them off center at about 1/3. They fit nice and tight that way.

Reactions: Baron23