• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon Fiber Proof Barrel impact shift

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I am getting ready to build a long range hunting rifle in 300 PRC. I have heard that the Proof barrels can wander as they heat up with a shot string that is fired rapidly with three or more rounds. Of course the goal is a single shot or maybe a follow up shot but I do not want a rifle that wanders if I shoot five rounds in rapid succession. Is there validity to the rumors of Proof barrels doing this? If so how bad is it? I have heard it is a lot more evident with the large magnums

I haven't heard this about the Proof barrels. Most report the opposite, that they hold POI just as well as full steel barrels.
Interesting

This has never happened to me, even in 10+ round strings. I'm only shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor, so perhaps someone shooting a magnum can offer their experience.

I am getting ready to build a long range hunting rifle in 300 PRC. I have heard that the Proof barrels can wander as they heat up with a shot string that is fired rapidly with three or more rounds. Of course the goal is a single shot or maybe a follow up shot but I do not want a rifle that wanders if I shoot five rounds in rapid succession. Is there validity to the rumors of Proof barrels doing this? If so how bad is it? I have heard it is a lot more evident with the large magnums
I talked to several at SHOT including PROOF. What i took away from it was the PROOF barrel will be great for a hunting gun but once the barrel is heated up after 10 or 11 rounds, it will cause the group's to open up quite a bit. I am still however looking at building a 6.5 creed hunting rifle with a PROOF barrel, so I can have a lightweight hunter.