• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon Fiber Sheets

xocyrusx

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 30, 2019
    Pasco County, FL
    Hello Hide,

looking for some help.

Does anyone have any experiance edging a sheet of carbon fiber? Looking to purchase a sheet but would like to have rounded edges. It would be 1/4” thick.

thank you!

Agree with the above. High speed cutting, fine tooth pattern works well for cutting. Sanding works well too - I've done it on a bench sander. I was dealing with small panels making interior parts for a project car and never had too much trouble. Also works well to cover the piece in Blue painters tape before cutting to protect the surface, if it doesn't already have something on it.

Whatever you do - make sure you wear a respirator. Can be some nasty dust kicked up from sanding.

Awesome thank you. I think I will have to give it a try and thank you for the advice.

Any thoughts on If I could tap/thread a hole in it?

Awesome thank you. I think I will have to give it a try and thank you for the advice.

Any thoughts on If I could tap/thread a hole in it?

The CF isn't great for threading in my experience. Here's what I'd do:

Drill a hole, cover a bolt in shoe polish, wax, or other mold release, put the bolt through the CF into a nut on the backside, epoxy that nut in place with JB Weld or similar. Let it cure, then mold release should let the nut stay in place and the bolt come back out. Sort of depends the application and what's on the back side. Don't over-torque it and it should hold.

Reactions: xocyrusx
    The CF isn't great for threading in my experience. Here's what I'd do:

Drill a hole, cover a bolt in shoe polish, wax, or other mold release, put the bolt through the CF into a nut on the backside, epoxy that nut in place with JB Weld or similar. Let it cure, then mold release should let the nut stay in place and the bolt come back out. Sort of depends the application and what's on the back side. Don't over-torque it and it should hold.
    I like it thank you... I for sure think that’s the play when making my own CF.

thanks for the insight. A lot to PO der hear with next steps...