• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon fiber wraped harmonics ?

Alan Warner

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2003
Keene, NH
So, I have 2, $3000 blanks to fit up in a 416
Question is‐-- what, if any data is there about harmonics for these?
Blanks are 39 and wraped to a dia of 1.3 at the front end.
A,tuner of some sort is in consideration.
Im looking at just adding wheel weights at first after enough load development just to see what effect there might be.
Any suggestions for other paths

of action would be welcome.

I can tell you that i experienced more fire cracking at 100 rounds in a Proof CF 338 LM AI compare to a Bartlein modified HV. I believe it was from the barrel whip or harmonics.

Hi Alan,

Knowing you are seeking real information that has and/or can be proven; I would recommend contacting either of these firms and see if they can help you with simulations.

We have used both firms for various analysis and testing. Both have handled everything we wanted from FEA with both static and dynamic simulations to alloy engineering/analysis.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi Alan,

Knowing you are seeking real information that has and/or can be proven; I would recommend contacting either of these firms and see if they can help you with simulations.

We have used both firms for various analysis and testing. Both have handled everything we wanted from FEA with both static and dynamic simulations to alloy engineering/analysis.

Sincerely,
Theis
Thanks for that. My customer is part of a Co. That makes very high end race cars --- f1 and other. He dad not offer insight, so I look beyond. Your input is very welcome
Thank you!

Thanks for that. My customer is part of a Co. That makes very high end race cars --- f1 and other. He dad not offer insight, so I look beyond. Your input is very welcome
Thank you!

Hi,

On that F1 note :)

The Italian shop that makes all the carbon fiber components for Bugatti has been T&E different machined carbon fiber tubes being placed over BMG barrels instead of the normal "wrapping" methodology.

From just the visual bending test they may be onto something but they may also have real data to harmonics, strengths and weaknesses of the traditional carbon fiber wrapped barrels since they are trying to improve the concept.

Maybe your customer his contact with them and hadn't realized they were conducting such T&E.

Sincerely,
Theis

Allen Warner I am familiar with what barrels you are speaking of the styled and method in which they were wrapped is going to have perhaps a little more harmonics then perhaps your typical carbon Barrel the barrels are going to react closer to that of a steel barrel when compared to a barrel like proof or other or other carbon toe filament winding style Barrel my suggestion is to build a tuner for the barrel as just about any Barrel can benefit from a tuner regardless of what the barrel is made out of. These barrels or like no other carbon Barrel on the market there stiffer it will have a greatly increased shot string even when comparing to a steel barrel of the same Contour fire cracking will be minimized and so will Barrel life good luck but my guess is he won't need it. Even structured barrels are not harmonically dead only dampened most any Barrel including structured barrels will benefit from a tuner you can afford the extra weight on those carbon barrels

Last edited: