• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Carbon or Baffle Strike?

tomcatfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Southern MD.
So I got a teslong borescpope for christmas and I was really excited to look inside my Omega. I've got a couple of thousand rounds through the thing and there is a little bit of carbon build up inside.
20200107_165156.jpg

Well as I look down the baffle stack, there are a couple that don't look symmetric with one looking worse than them all. Looking at the 5th baffle in the stack, it is interesting to see something that looks like a peel back and some missing material.
WIN_20200107_16_47_14_Pro.jpg

Another picture head on.
WIN_20200107_17_08_57_Pro.jpg

Next baffle down the stack with the suspect one out of focus just behind it.
WIN_20200107_17_09_40_Pro.jpg

Has anyone seen carbon deposits like this before? Baffles 6-9 don't look bad and my end cap is pristine. I've never launched this can downrange and I've not ever had a round that I couldn't account for with the can installed. Anyone see anything like this before? Do you think this is carbon or a baffle strike?

Nope that's a partial strike. I wouldn't sweat it until you get a legit one or several thousand rounds later then I would hit them up for a recore.

I would check all your hosts for 100% concentricity to the bore...also if you were using shitty ammo on one of your rifles I could see you having a partial jacket seperation as it left the muzzle doing this too

So I got a teslong borescpope for christmas and I was really excited to look inside my Omega. I've got a couple of thousand rounds through the thing and there is a little bit of carbon build up inside.
View attachment 7219746

Well as I look down the baffle stack, there are a couple that don't look symmetric with one looking worse than them all. Looking at the 5th baffle in the stack, it is interesting to see something that looks like a peel back and some missing material.
View attachment 7219748
Another picture head on.
View attachment 7219777
Next baffle down the stack with the suspect one out of focus just behind it.
View attachment 7219778
Has anyone seen carbon deposits like this before? Baffles 6-9 don't look bad and my end cap is pristine. I've never launched this can downrange and I've not ever had a round that I couldn't account for with the can installed. Anyone see anything like this before? Do you think this is carbon or a baffle strike?

I never would have thought those things were that cheap. Which model did you get? Thanks.

Nope that's a partial strike. I wouldn't sweat it until you get a legit one or several thousand rounds later then I would hit them up for a recore.

I would check all your hosts for 100% concentricity to the bore...also if you were using shitty ammo on one of your rifles I could see you having a partial jacket seperation as it left the muzzle doing this too
I’ve never heard of a partial strike before. Any chance it was a chunk of carbon coming loose in the blast chamber or earlier in the suppressor and getting blown back causing that damage?

I’m really surprised the damage would be isolated to one baffle roughly half way down the can.

Reactions: ddavis
Am I wrong or is that in the key way and not the bore portion?

If its in the key way but not the bore than its not a baffle strike and likely carbon...but a really funky situation.

Either way I'm with Husky. Check for concentricity (geissele alignement rods are great in the 223/308 cals) and run the can until you either get a real strike or blew out a baffle.

IF you reload and clean your brass via stainless wet tumbling, there is a possibility that one (or more) of the rounds had a pin (or pins) in them.

Otherwise, I'm with Husky too............

IF you reload and clean your brass via stainless wet tumbling, there is a possibility that one (or more) of the rounds had a pin (or pins) in them.

Otherwise, I'm with Husky too............
That isn't impossible. I use stainless pins for cleaning. I would have just thought the barrel would show some accuracy issues if that were the case.

If you got a baffle strike in a key way, and nowhere else, some PFM happened. Think about the amount of misalignment that would have to happen to have a projectile hit that part of a baffle, and then it also straightened itself back out before arriving at the next baffle a nanosecond later.

It doesnt' make any sense to me either. If something did strike the baffle, it definitely straightened up or lost all of its energy in the suppressor as there is nothing seen on the 4 baffles after it and the end cap has no damage to it at all.