• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon ring (not your normal)

Lunchbox27

Professional whisky drinker
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2017
    Maryland
    This fucking barrel…

TL/DR: Carbon ring every 55 rounds or so, cannot chamber, 2 times in a row, 3rd time approaching.

Alright.. Proof Stainless, 6 Creed barrel, 26”. It’s been a hammer and problem free for over 800 rounds with a can. Normal cleaning reg is 200 rounds, bore tech c4, scrub the throat, and good to go.

A month ago I’m at the range with this barrel (freshly cleaned and spun on). 108 eld, 40.5g H4350, Hornady brass (annealed every firing, trimmed to 1.915”, F/L resized- Mandrel ) cci200’s, suppressed.

At 50 rounds I start to notice the groups are opening up on steel at 500 yards. I chrono and the speeds are up by 25+ fps. I shoot a few more, then try to chamber a new round and cannot. Pull it out, try another round.. won’t chamber. So, I throw it in the truck and shoot my other rifles. Get home, throw a borescope on and sure nuff, carbon ring. I do my normal cleaning reg, and now rounds chambering again.. so, I chalk it up to freak occurrence and carry on.

A week later, I’m back at the range. Same ammo, same everything. Shooting at 100 yards just practing some fundamentals. Getting close to 50 rounds and the Labradar start showing high velocity again. Few round later, rounds won’t chamber. At this point, wtf!

I go home, bore scope again, yup.. carbon ring. Cleaning reg again, bore scope afterwards and it’s spotless. So, I think.. lets not shoot it suppressed. I hate muzzle brakes, but lets find out.

Head back out to the range today and shoot 30 rounds (same ammo) just without a suppressor. No issues, however I did bore scope it again and find a nice carbon ring forming already.

I’m not sure what to do at this point. I could try another powder (RL16) but I cannot help but think if it’s happening with 4350, RL16 will be the same. Cleaning this thing every 40 rounds to keep groups solid and velocities stable is dumb, and obviously cannot run this in a match.

Open to suggestions.

Two things:

- RL16 has a reputation for carbon rings, so I don't think it's your answer. Also I'll take it off your hands, the stuff is trash and I'd be doing you a favor...

- I'd take a piece of fired brass, chamber it, then run your borescope in from the muzzle. See if you have excessive clearance between the case mouth and the beginning of the chamber freebore; if you're trimming the brass too short for your chamber, it can cause excessively rapid ring formation. I get that you're saying you haven't changed anything and this is a new issue, but that's the first place I'd look.

- I'd take a piece of fired brass, chamber it, then run your borescope in from the muzzle. See if you have excessive clearance between the case mouth and the beginning of the chamber freebore; if you're trimming the brass too short for your chamber, it can cause excessively rapid ring formation. I get that you're saying you haven't changed anything and this is a new issue, but that's the first place I'd look.

Solid idea. I’ll check that out later. Thanks!

Reactions: KnowNothing256
    This fucking barrel…

TL/DR: Carbon ring every 55 rounds or so, cannot chamber, 2 times in a row, 3rd time approaching.

Alright.. Proof Stainless, 6 Creed barrel, 26”. It’s been a hammer and problem free for over 800 rounds with a can. Normal cleaning reg is 200 rounds, bore tech c4, scrub the throat, and good to go.

A month ago I’m at the range with this barrel (freshly cleaned and spun on). 108 eld, 40.5g H4350, Hornady brass (annealed every firing, trimmed to 1.915”, F/L resized- Mandrel ) cci200’s, suppressed.

At 50 rounds I start to notice the groups are opening up on steel at 500 yards. I chrono and the speeds are up by 25+ fps. I shoot a few more, then try to chamber a new round and cannot. Pull it out, try another round.. won’t chamber. So, I throw it in the truck and shoot my other rifles. Get home, throw a borescope on and sure nuff, carbon ring. I do my normal cleaning reg, and now rounds chambering again.. so, I chalk it up to freak occurrence and carry on.

A week later, I’m back at the range. Same ammo, same everything. Shooting at 100 yards just practing some fundamentals. Getting close to 50 rounds and the Labradar start showing high velocity again. Few round later, rounds won’t chamber. At this point, wtf!

I go home, bore scope again, yup.. carbon ring. Cleaning reg again, bore scope afterwards and it’s spotless. So, I think.. lets not shoot it suppressed. I hate muzzle brakes, but lets find out.

Head back out to the range today and shoot 30 rounds (same ammo) just without a suppressor. No issues, however I did bore scope it again and find a nice carbon ring forming already.

I’m not sure what to do at this point. I could try another powder (RL16) but I cannot help but think if it’s happening with 4350, RL16 will be the same. Cleaning this thing every 40 rounds to keep groups solid and velocities stable is dumb, and obviously cannot run this in a match.

Open to suggestions.
    Clean it real well and sell it.

Clean it real well and sell it.
    I mean, I could… but that would be a dick move. Plan was to shoot a few more comps this year with it before it burns out. It’s been great barrel, now it’s being an asshole.

Without a case and with

2C63B634-674C-4CEF-A79E-AA0AA5EF0B61.jpeg
    0031F9FC-8549-4CAE-BE4E-77BBB038A755.jpeg

I'd clean it really well and get the carbon ring out, switch to a different brass and shoot it again or at least throw a piece of different brass in and scope it to see if the mouth stops at the same point. Have u been trimming the brass?

Reactions: kthomas
    I'd clean it really well and get the carbon ring out, switch to a different brass and shoot it again or at least throw a piece of different brass in and scope it to see if the mouth stops at the same point. Have u been trimming the brass?
    I’ve got Starline here I could use (not the best option, I know). That brass is 10 thou shorter than my current, though, so not sure if would even be a good test. 1.915” vs (starline)1.905”.

Could also resize and see if I can grow the brass another 10 thou.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9