• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon vs stainless- dedicated hunting rifle.

Afischer1289

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 15, 2017
I’m about to put together a dedicated hunting rifle. I know the carbon wrapped barrels are lighter than stainless, but for cost savings, I was thinking about doing a deep fluted senders stainless barrel instead of a proof. Is the weight savings really going to be that noticeable? Not going for super light just don’t want it to be crazy heavy.

It’s a huge difference, Christiansen arms has the lightest carbon barrels I’ve put my hands on, the only way your going to get lighter is to do a small sporter barrel. But I think the quality of heavy barrels and carbon barrels are much better...

I like heavier contour barrels, only reason I was considering the carbon wrapped. But looking at the weight difference it didn’t seem like a whole lot. I was also looking at the m24 proof vs senders stainless. I know there’s a big difference there but the weight difference was only a few ounces.

I’m liking the #4 contour with a little fluting I think it would be perfect.

I went with a full sendero 24” barrel weighs 3lbs. You could likely go to sendero light and 20” and be at 2lbs

I don't think you gain a whole lot by going carbon over a sporter profile. I went with proof on my two hunting rifles because I hunt suppressed and needed the diameter for the suppressor shoulder. The carbon proof let's me do this lighter then a heavy steel profile.

Reactions: Newbie2020
I don't think you gain a whole lot by going carbon over a sporter profile. I went with proof on my two hunting rifles because I hunt suppressed and needed the diameter for the suppressor shoulder. The carbon proof let's me do this lighter then a heavy steel profile.
The rifle will have a suppressor on it all the time.

That was the main reason I can see to go Carbon. Both my hunting rifles have proof barrels, however if I was building one today I would look hard at the new bartlein barrel.

Reactions: Afischer1289
I'm not sure if Chad at LRI can help on the weight difference between a fluted barrel vs carbon. You are going to need to make sure you have enough diameter to shoulder a suppressor. Here is a little information on his web page.

Also he built my two proof hunting rifles and I'd use him again if I was doing another.

Reactions: Afischer1289
The rifle will have a suppressor on it all the time.

Carbon because you get greater stiffness for the same weight to run your can.

All I use are Proof, and I don't have much reason to change. Of the four Proof CF I have personally done the load development, all are .5 moa and better any time I shoot a group, often shooting groups in the .2s. All are hunting rifles, 6.5 cm, 7 rem mag, and two 7 ss.