• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Care of SAS 308 SS Suppressor

ohiogunnut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2008
Ohio, USA
Are there any recommended guidelines for cleaning/care of a SAS suppressor? Mine is building up a bit inside and just wondered what others are doing or should I just shoot it and not worry about it. Also, has anyone else noted a pretty good POI shift? My accuracy at range is good, but as an example the POI shift is 2 MOA left and -2.5 elevation over unsuppressed. Last point is I have noted that if I keep tightening up the can on the QD brake mount when shooting, I need a heat gun to take it off if I let it cool on the gun (is this normal?) Thank you!

Re: Care of SAS 308 SS Suppressor

POI shift can on vs off is normal with any. Any weight hanging on the end of you barrel will cause a shift.

Cleaning...I have stuck mine in the cleaning tank we use to clean the M16s. Left it sit for about an hour and used an air compressor to blow it out. Filled it will Kroil and let sit for about a hour. Repeated the compressor treatment. Seems to work well.

In Tim's words when I picked mine up, "don't clean it, just shoot it. You break it, I'll fix it". That strategy has worked very well for 1700 rounds now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Tim's words when I picked mine up, "don't clean it, just shoot it. You break it, I'll fix it". That strategy has worked very well for 1700 rounds now. </div></div>

That's pretty much what he said about my 5.56 can. Got to love the warranty!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last point is I have noted that if I keep tightening up the can on the QD brake mount when shooting, I need a heat gun to take it off if I let it cool on the gun (is this normal?) Thank you! </div></div>

You're experiencing the common phenomenon of heat cycling. Your can and QD mount are made of dissimilar materials with different coefficients of expansion -- one will expand more when heated than the other. In you case, when the can is heated, the material expansion causes the can to loosen on the QD mount, since the QD mount is not expanding at the same rate. It happens. As long as you can get it back off, there's no problem that I can see.

One suggestion -- I once ham-fisted my threaded can on my .308. A set of these pliers managed to assist removal with no damage. They're a bit toward the expensive side, but well worth the cost.

32779.JPG

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...re&tool=all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last point is I have noted that if I keep tightening up the can on the QD brake mount when shooting, I need a heat gun to take it off if I let it cool on the gun (is this normal?) Thank you! </div></div>

You're experiencing the common phenomenon of heat cycling. Your can and QD mount are made of dissimilar materials with different coefficients of expansion -- one will expand more when heated than the other. In you case, when the can is heated, the material expansion causes the can to loosen on the QD mount, since the QD mount is not expanding at the same rate. It happens. As long as you can get it back off, there's no problem that I can see.

One suggestion -- I once ham-fisted my threaded can on my .308. A set of these pliers managed to assist removal with no damage. They're a bit toward the expensive side, but well worth the cost.

32779.JPG

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...re&tool=all </div></div>

Thank you! I just picked up a strap wrench, but it that doesn't work, these look like a great option.

Compared to a strap wrench, these rule. I've been using them for over 10 years to loosen electrical connectors on .mil aircraft and I've found them to be nearly indestructible. If you ever manage to mangle or wear down the jaws, you can replace just the jaws. They also work well for threaded sending units on engines; oil pressure and the like.

Strap wrenches have their place, but for small diameter like a can, I don't think you'll manage to do much other than break a strap wrench.