• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Carlos Hathcock match cherry ridge 10/20/13

Beretta

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2013
Was a nice day at the ridge a little chill in the Am.Was great to see everyone again and what a difference a year makes.The conditions were slightly windy and pushing rounds to each side of the target with about two moa right and left.My rifle a savage target action in 7rsaum was all over the place again.Can't seem to figure the issue out.Either its a scope,rifle stock,barrel issue,it shoots erratic when hot and my shooting partner claimed 3 clicks of wind on the scope jumped the shot 6 inches then it came back in after adjusting again.I haven't had time to box test the scope and the barrel was just re-cut to deepen the throat to shoot 180smks.Either way after hitting an 8 I decided to shoot at the head to regains some points and missed one.Since Micker and other hide members were there I assumed the scores would be much higher.I didn't realize the scores were low for the day as I'm used to seeing the 199 and 198's from most of the hide shooters and others.Those three head shots cost me 12 points and a finial score of 181 killed my chances but no guts,no glory.
It seems some shooters were complaining again about equipment, scopes, sand bags, bi-pods etc.My experience from the very beginning of the matches has always been about being together to remember a great Marine sniper and his accomplishments.The gathering of friends and medals are just more of the fun of the match.I'm not worried about who uses what and will shoot against anyone but it seems to be an issue.It seems most people have a good experience even if they don't shoot well or shoot at all.
I think the rule of the rear bag is way off for practical shooting and is used incorrectly as they now have it.Some shooters were complaining about the power of the scopes and quality of the glass being used.We used to shoot a red and black and gray target with a yellow paster for the x ring.We had zeroing and then 20 rounds with no pulling and marking just numerous holes in the target.I think the match has changed a lot and mostly for the better.If they wanted to make it a military caliber only and limit power of the scopes that would have to be brought up to Joe and considered for some MCL members to vote on.I think Greg was the creator of that match and a founder of the Carlos match at the ridge.I'm not going to shoot off a sand bag anymore too much suspicion on the sand bag in the backpack.
I just wanted to say that it was great to see Miker again and I was very surprised to see him and other old friends, SEMPER FI my brothers see you all again sometime.Miker I will make an effort to shoot a match at Reade range next year.Beretta out

Beretta, I wish you hadn't posted this !!!! Now I will have to tell my story of why I won't go back.

I have a sniper rest ,molle strapped to my ruck sack, and was in the prep time, getting ready to shoot my sighters, Joe R. the match director says I can't use it, I asked why ?? It's factory made he said. So some one gives me a towel to fold up and shoot off of.

The guy to my right is shooting with a SINCLAIR F CLASS bipod, and the guy to my left , spiked a board into the gravel that had PVC end caps screwed to it to put his bipod legs into.

I know I was the outsider, Well out of stater, I will not bash Carlos Hathcock, I am only stating what I ran into, There range , his rules, Did not seem to me to be fair, people around me could not believe what happened.

Water under the bridge, Life lesson.!!!!!!

As for my shooting, This is a hard match with no feed back, All my shot where in a scoring area, NO MISSES, I shot a nice horizontal line from one side of the target to the other, about a half inch low of the ten point scoring box, Forgot to add, All shot at 300 yds on TQ-20 target.

RANTING OVER

miker out

Beretta, I wish you hadn't posted this !!!! Now I will have to tell my story of why I won't go back.

I have a sniper rest ,molle strapped to my ruck sack, and was in the prep time, getting ready to shoot my sighters, Joe R. the match director says I can't use it, I asked why ?? It's factory made he said. So some one gives me a towel to fold up and shoot off of.

The guy to my right is shooting with a SINCLAIR F CLASS bipod, and the guy to my left , spiked a board into the gravel that had PVC end caps screwed to it to put his bipod legs into.

I know I was the outsider, Well out of stater, I will not bash Carlos Hathcock, I am only stating what I ran into, There range , his rules, Did not seem to me to be fair, people around me could not believe what happened.

Water under the bridge, Life lesson.!!!!!!

As for my shooting, This is a hard match with no feed back, All my shot where in a scoring area, NO MISSES, I shot a nice horizontal line from one side of the target to the other, about a half inch low of the ten point scoring box, Forgot to add, All shot at 300 yds on TQ-20 target.

RANTING OVER

miker out

I was shooting on the first relay to your right , the guy with the Boonie hat...not the guy with the Lunar landing craft bipod lol. I agree it is ridiculous that they won't allow you to use the rest on the ruck sack while they allow others to use anything they want as a platform. Shooting on loose gravel with a Harris bipod does suck.