• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Carrier media for hBn ?

dukedurham

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
While I know some of you guys like this stuff for bullets, I was thinking that it might do well for the top latch on my Kreighoff to counter the wear on the lug wings. If I do it, whats the best way to get the stuff burnished on there? The area is not that large surface wise, so I was thinking that it might have to be used in a carrier of some type. Maybe just add some to the grease I already use? Would like to hear what might be a better way. Thanks.

Re: Carrier media for hBn ?

hBn will not burnish into hardened steel, but it doesn't have to, it just has to be present to lubricate.

The best wear preventative for steel on steel surfaces is the hardness of the steel itself, keeping it clean and free of grit, and lube. As long as there is a cushion of lube between the surfaces there will be minimal wear.

Any oil will do that. If you have some hBn powder, you could add it to any oil or grease, but it is not commonly available. You could just use moly grease...it's the same principle and should be all that's needed.

TC

Top Cat is right on. Pick up a tin of moly fortified disc brake lube at the auto store. It will outlive you for about $5.00.

I'm trying Slide Glide as a grease on slides, bolt lugs and sears. While I can't measure lubricity and can't compare this to other lubs, Slide Glide has a unique sticking property that seems to keep it where you put it, and its slick as owl shit.

Thanks gang. Am presently using the Slide Glide, and I think i'll p/u some of the moly @ the auto shop.